Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having a breast feeding day?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies
So some of you gave me some great advice on my weight gain/dr wanting me to supplement post. Now I have another question. Taylor isn't having 2-3 poopy diapers a day. I know if I call the Dr office they will start on supplementing again. We went Monday he was 6lbs 4.4oz, Wednesday he was 6lbs 5.8ozs that morning, that afternoon right after a feeding he was 6lbs 8ozs and he had a massive poop, and 2 wet diapers during the feeding, yesterday (thur) he was 6lbs 7oz and hadn't ate in about 2 hours.

He has a wet diaper with every feeding. He is content after eating and sleeps. The last Dr I saw (wed) said everything was good and to keep supplementing, well I informed him I hadn't been and didn't plan on it. He wasn't happy and said he needs 2-3ozs after each nursing I told him no. He said he only got an ounce during that feeding and he needed more than that. Then yesterday they weighed him he had a good increase and they wanted us to come back today and DH told them no.

Taylors eating every 1.5 hours I have my alarm set for every 2 incase I doze off. Is there anything I can do to increase bowel movements? I'm pumping after every nursing too. I'm just laying in the bed with him no TV just playing phone games and listening to my dd and her friend play and watch movies.
I wish I could do this all the time. DH is out job hunting so I can go to working part time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
J.Norman
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM
ETA 6lbs 6.8ozs not 6lbs 8ozs after a feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Many BFed babies can go long periods (over a week, even) without a bowel movement.  Breastmilk is well processed and leaves little waste.  There is no need to increase bowel movements, unless baby is uncomfortable or the belly is hard.  Constipation has clear signs, not only from baby, but the poops are hard and pellet-like, and baby will have trouble getting them out.

Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I have to go back and find your other post but I too had a dr that told me to supplement 2-3 oz after every feeding which is just asking to wean as fast as possible, its a whole days worth of feeding!!!  And getting a before and after weight on only one occasion does not give an accurate account of what baby takes in.  Baby will take larger amounts some times and smaller amounts other times (think big meal vs small snack) so unless the weights after feeds are done for every feeding for 24+ hours it is not very reliable.

And I actually disagree with the above statement about bf babies and bowel movements... babies up until 6-8 weeks should be going daily (it can drop down later but that young they still go daily- I could always tell when my dd was not getting enough by if she didn't go for a day or 2)  How often is he having bowel movements and how much?

deccaf
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I didn't notice an age on the OP.  I just stated the general info about BF babies and BM's.  Should have looked closer at the weights and I would have noticed it was a newborn.

Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

lol, took me a while to figure out age then when I realized the weights I felt like duh...

Quoting deccaf:

I didn't notice an age on the OP.  I just stated the general info about BF babies and BM's.  Should have looked closer at the weights and I would have noticed it was a newborn.

greenfairy9
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Try pumping before you breastfeed, the foremilk is not as nutritious as the hindmilk.  The baby can get at the hindmilk easier than a pump too (in my experience, pumps never really emptied me, maybe a hospital grade one would though).  The hindmilk is loaded with tons of good stuff for baby.  Good luck, keep up your good work.

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

What age?  My dd was pooping fine at the hospital then went 2 days (so 3 and 4 day old)  then had a massive explosion!! And back to normal after that.  I asked the pedi and she said give her another day or two then check back with them if still no poops.  She pooped that night :)

Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM

so mon-wed 2 days 1.4 oz gain (good)

wed-thur  1 day 1.2 oz gain (also good)

so in 3 days you are up 2.6 oz and are on your way to meeting the 4-6 average

I think you need to stop going in to the doctors... (and highly recommend finding a new one) weighing daily WILL drive you crazy.  I would watch diapers, look for 6-8 wets and at least one poopy per day.  I would weigh weekly at the most and only supplement if baby is missing diapers and if you do supplement do 1/4 oz of breastmilk by syringe after feeding.

Good luck!

Quoting J.Norman:

So some of you gave me some great advice on my weight gain/dr wanting me to supplement post. Now I have another question. Taylor isn't having 2-3 poopy diapers a day. I know if I call the Dr office they will start on supplementing again. We went Monday he was 6lbs 4.4oz, Wednesday he was 6lbs 5.8ozs that morning, that afternoon right after a feeding he was 6lbs 8ozs and he had a massive poop, and 2 wet diapers during the feeding, yesterday (thur) he was 6lbs 7oz and hadn't ate in about 2 hours.

He has a wet diaper with every feeding. He is content after eating and sleeps. The last Dr I saw (wed) said everything was good and to keep supplementing, well I informed him I hadn't been and didn't plan on it. He wasn't happy and said he needs 2-3ozs after each nursing I told him no. He said he only got an ounce during that feeding and he needed more than that. Then yesterday they weighed him he had a good increase and they wanted us to come back today and DH told them no.

Taylors eating every 1.5 hours I have my alarm set for every 2 incase I doze off. Is there anything I can do to increase bowel movements? I'm pumping after every nursing too. I'm just laying in the bed with him no TV just playing phone games and listening to my dd and her friend play and watch movies.
I wish I could do this all the time. DH is out job hunting so I can go to working part time.

J.Norman
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Sorry he's 9 days old now. He's been having 1-2 every other day but not one everday. I said something at the hospital and the nurse said it was no big deal because he had so bmany one day 1 and 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM

agreed.

I see no need to suppliment and  if they ask,m you can always pump and suppliment with breastmilk. Baby sounds like he is doing well to me.

Quoting Char07:

so mon-wed 2 days 1.4 oz gain (good)

wed-thur  1 day 1.2 oz gain (also good)

so in 3 days you are up 2.6 oz and are on your way to meeting the 4-6 average

I think you need to stop going in to the doctors... (and highly recommend finding a new one) weighing daily WILL drive you crazy.  I would watch diapers, look for 6-8 wets and at least one poopy per day.  I would weigh weekly at the most and only supplement if baby is missing diapers and if you do supplement do 1/4 oz of breastmilk by syringe after feeding.

Good luck!

Quoting J.Norman:

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)