Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section Pain Meds & BF

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hi Ladies, I tried to post this huge long thing yesterday, but wouldn't you know Internet Explorer stopped working....

So I am havin' a c-section in early October (the 4th to be exact if everything works out)...it's my 3rd one....I didn't BF DD1 and BF DD2 for 7 months, this time around I plan to BF (till baby weans and delay solids...from all the stuff I have learned from being in this group!)....but I have some questions that I don't remember being addressed with DD2.

I asked my DR at my last OB appointment about pain meds after surgery, because I was concerned about it passing through my BM and "drugging" the baby so to speak...

he said that the spinal meds will be in my for 24 hours...then they move on to vicodin/perkaset then to high strength ibeprofen.....and he said that some WILL go through my BM, but since the milk doesn't actually come in for 2-3 days it will be minimal but can make the baby drowsy and sleepy.

I think with DD2 I went to motrin as fast as I could, this time around I want to be off the hard stuff ASAP because I don't want to be groggy as hell or drug my baby, but I don't want to be in extreme pain either...

can you ladie's tell me some of your c-section/bf experiences because I can't recall any of these details from DD2's birth (maybe cause of the pain meds?) LOL

baby development

baby

pregnant
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I've never had a c-section... you can bf with the pain meds, getting off them as soon as it is okay for you to do so is of course a good idea but stopping taking them too soon of course is not.  Good luck, I'm sure you'll get lots of stories from people who have been there :)

jessnjosh87
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

No problem, I had an emergency C-section and BF from the first day and am still BF now at 14 months. Just make sure its clear to everyone that baby goes to you FIRST and the BF relationship should start ASAP.

MommyJill87

Thanks, I'm just SUPER commited to doing things right this time and I want to start our BF relationship on the right foot! :)

baby development

baby

pregnant
JADIEBUG

I never had a drugging my baby issue with my c-sections and breast feeding. I have had 2 c-sections and breastfed 2 babies immediately after both. I used the harder drugs for a long time with my first due to complications with no negative issues with my son.

Paradys
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I also had a c-sec and had no trouble bf. DD was handed back to me before we even left the surgery suite and never left my side!

Make sure you do a birth plan, make many copies, and hand it to anyone who comes into your room. They'll get the hint quick. Good luck

ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

i was given, after all the drugs in the hospital etc, hydrocodone which is a generic of ? vicoden? maybe? i forget, and i looked it up and it said it was safe BUT i could cause drowsiness. I only took it when i was expecially in pain in the first few days and mostly at night so i could sleep and it did make my lil one a tad sleepy, and since i was nursing and newborns already sleep all the time, i made sure i did wake her to eat often and maintain my supply.

i also only medicated after i fed her so by the next feeding the meds had a little time to wear off.

i also got motrin 800s and maybe something else?

ruthie11617
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I had vicodin and motrin after my c/s. I was taking them in the hospital, DS didn't really seem too groggy, but my milk didn't come in until the morning of the day we were discharged. Once we got home, I took two vicodin, one the first night and the other the second night. I waited until night to take them because DS slept for longer stretches at night and I thought that would be better. I took the motrin if needed during the day, but I would wait until I absolutely needed it (like days when I overdid it...going to church our second day home, for example). I don't think I took anything after the first week. But I'm stubborn, too. :)

chrissygordon
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Honestly, I had no issues with the meds and breastfeeding. With DD(5) I stopped taking them when I got out of the hospital and was fine on motrin. With DS(4) I was in more pain and used the medication accordingly, same with DD(3) and I really needed them with DS(3mos) because of the back and forth to the NICU an hour away while I was supposed to be healing lol. My children never acted different, or overly drowsy or fussy.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM
I was on a morphine pump with my first and then vicodin after with no issues. With my second, they alternated between vicodin and ibuprofen 800 mg. There were no issues with either baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randomtrixie
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Take the pain meds.  Not taking them and being in horrible pain can also inhibit milk production.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)