Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Breastfeeder question

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello Ladies! I plan to bf my baby...this will be my 3rd baby, and i never bf my other two...so this is all new to me. I have a question...maybe its a stupid question...  When your feeding the baby, does the baby usually feed from both breast at the same feeding? Or does the baby nurse from one breast, then nurse from the other one next time? I heard some moms say you can pump the other breast while the baby feeds from the other one.....does that mess up feedings though?? Thanks ladies!!

pregnancy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I don't time the baby at the breast. I let him nurse on one breast until he is full then I switch breasts.  Sometimes I let him nurse on the same breast for two feedings and then nurse on the other breast for two feedings.

jessnjosh87
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

No timing the baby, they will pop off/pass out when they are done. One boob, then the other IF baby doesn't seem satisfied. You will be able to tell which boob needs to be used...

ashleigheg
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM
It really depends. After I've been at work all day, she nurses from both, but the rest of the time, she only nurses off one breast.

There's always milk in your breasts, no matter what. You can pump before a feeding, and baby will still be able to get full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM
I followed my babies. My oldest would pop off of the first side and want more, so we switched sides. My second passed out after only one side. I think that tremendously helped with my overactive letdown/oversupply and he didn't have as much gas pain as his brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

We usually do one side, but in the beginning I tried to get DD on both to build suppy. When she was done on one side I'd try to get her to nurse on the other, even if only briefly. If you feed baby on the right and pump on the left, just switch for the next feeding.

Kudos for finding out all you can before baby gets here, and good luck!

thekayk
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

No B/F Question is stupid so ask away were here to help I Nurse my baby as much as she wants I let her nurse 10Min on one boob then 10 Min on other boob it worked out great for us we did this the 1St two Month's then she took over fingers crossed

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Blue_Spiral
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM

My son has always known exactly which breast he wanted. As a newborn if he was refusing I tried giving the other side and he'd latch right on. And it wasn't always the same one, he just knew which one he wanted lol.

So, you can try that. Now that he's older, if he stops nursing I put him to the other side and he'll nurse there for a while. Sometimes he wants to go back and forth a few times too.

Point is, you'll just follow your baby's cue. As long as you're not going by any schedule, or any "rules" and you just listen to your baby, you'll be fine!

I don't know much about pumping. I only pump once in a while so I have some frozen milk for emergencies.

They say it helps your supply if you pump after your baby is done nursing.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM
No timing of feedings! This is not correct advice and can cause low weight gain and/or low supply.

Quoting thekayk:

No B/F Question is stupid so ask away were here to help I Nurse my baby as much as she wants I let her nurse 10Min on one boob then 10 Min on other boob it worked out great for us we did this the 1St two Month's then she took over fingers crossed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM
Pumping one side while nursing is fine and will NOT mess with anything. It will increase supply and usually helps with pump output if the baby will allow this. Toy make more mill as it is removed, so there will be more milk if the baby wants to nurse on the pumped side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancyn89
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I generally try to give my son both sides during a feeding. I always alternate breast at each feeding so if he finished off the left breast at the last feeding, I try to put him on the right at the next feeding. Sometimes, he only takes one breast and then falls asleep so I change his diaper in between to wake him up and then he'll take the other breast. It all depends on the baby. Sometimes they are content with the amount of milk they get from one side that they don't need the other side. However, if this is the case, try alternating breast at each feeding so that one breast isn't always neglected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)