Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Somewhat insulting breastfeeding in public advice in this column

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

Saw this linked from Evenflo's Facebook page to this "Good Enough Mother" column.  

Basically a woman writes in distressed because her sister is nursing in public.  The advice is to buy her sister an Evenflo breast pump and/or help her cover herself up so that she doesn't have to nurse in public anymore.

She does say that the sister should keep her opinion to herself, but also that the sister should help "shape her breastfeeding experience."  Huh?

http://www.goodenoughmother.com/2011/08/ask-rene-breast-in-show/

No mention that it's her LEGAL RIGHT to nurse in public.

Mom to a 3 year old DS, just turned 35 lbs and now FFing in two Maui Blue FN85's.

VBAC hopeful in October, baby will ride in a Paisley BLVD 70 and a Cherry Pie Coccoro

Radian Superlatch Problems?

I believe in science!  That's why I vaccinate, EBF, and ERF!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blg5484
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM

some peopole my siser always has something to say about me NIP but IDC i always tell her when she has a server bring her food to the bathroom OR puts a napkin on her head Ill cove or go somewhere else

untill a person has 1 had children 2 done everything in ther power to give them the PROVEN best (this goes for everything not just nursing) 3 had some one tell them something that is exact opposite of what they KNOW is best for their children they need to sit down shut up and just mind their own business

jdanielle82
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I think the reply was well worded, and she basically said that the sister should mind her own business or help if possible.  Of course, she is partnered with Evenflo and will put in a plug for an evenflo product.  She doesn't say, "Give your sister a pump and tell her to pump at home and use bottles in public."  She tells her to give her something that may be helpful to her and keep the judgement to herself.

My family is somewhat disapproving of my NIP, and just recently my mother found out about nursing covers and started telling me how cool they are and how much I need one and she'll buy it.  I just told her that I can nurse just fine without one and I think it makes it much more obvious that you're nursing.  The sister could simply decline the gift or use it as it's appropriate in her life.

I think sometimes we're a little too touchy :)

mommyofemeli
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Totally agree!

Quoting blg5484:

some peopole my siser always has something to say about me NIP but IDC i always tell her when she has a server bring her food to the bathroom OR puts a napkin on her head Ill cove or go somewhere else

untill a person has 1 had children 2 done everything in ther power to give them the PROVEN best (this goes for everything not just nursing) 3 had some one tell them something that is exact opposite of what they KNOW is best for their children they need to sit down shut up and just mind their own business

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM
I don't think it was that bad, not a good article but she kinda told her who cares what everyone else thinks and she had to throw in the part about evenflo- sucks but she's partnered with them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hmommy07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

i really don't see the issue with this article. basically the whole article was teaching or even repremanding the lady for trying to tell the nursing mom what to do.  then the very last part was about breast pumps probably because the writer gets kickbacks from evenflo.  it wasn't telling her to use one instead of nursing. it was just offering that as an idea so she could take bottles filled with breast milk if the lady wanted. and it didn't tell her to cover her sister up so she wouldn't have to nurse in public. It simply explained to the lady that she should focus her attention on helping her nursing sister rather than judging her.  it offered ways to help her like if her sister needed help finding a blanket, she could do that for her. etc. it did not EVER say do this so she doesn't nurse in public. nursing in public with a blanket is still nursing in public.  i think in this article it was understood that nursing in public is a legal right. 

i think you're just nit picking to find things to complain about with this article. if it's such a bother to you... write a comment stating that nursing in public is a woman's right....

KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

It didn't say she should help her cover her sister up, it reminded the letter writer that, if her sister is trying to cover up and having trouble keeping a cover in place, offer to help with that and anything else she might need. What I got from the response was "offer to help in any way your sister needs, or keep your mouth shut". And if she wants to pump in public, buy the Evenflo pump I'm promoting. I agree with PP, I think the response was well worded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)