Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

From Fridge to Freezer?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
Can I put my pumped breastmilk that's in the fridge for the past few hours into the freezer and still save it. I meant to take it with me on my errands but forgot it. So I had to NIP. No big deal. But I would like to not waste the milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Sure can.  You can leave the milk in the fridge for up to 8 days I believe but it's best if goes to the freeezer soon.  I would pump small amounts at a time and combine until I had a full bottle to freeze.  ... I am assuming the milk is fresh, though.  Thawed milk must be used within 24 hours and should never be refrozen. 

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM
TJD22
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Yes it was pumped this morning. I appreciate your response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM
This is correct. I wouldn't store in more than 2-3 ounces to minimize waste, though.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Sure can.  You can leave the milk in the fridge for up to 8 days I believe but it's best if goes to the freeezer soon.  I would pump small amounts at a time and combine until I had a full bottle to freeze.  ... I am assuming the milk is fresh, though.  Thawed milk must be used within 24 hours and should never be refrozen. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joledalynn
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Was just gonna ask if you could combine like that. I don't wanna waste my bags. I got a 2 ounce bottle in the fridge that I wanna add another to before I store in the freezer.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This is correct. I wouldn't store in more than 2-3 ounces to minimize waste, though.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Combining is fine if you will be giving more than one bottle in the 24 hours after thawing. Otherwise, storing in one feeding quantities keeps milk from being wasted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joledalynn
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Thanks :) I'm storing for daycare in the future. Sorry op for jacking your post lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

Combining is fine if you will be giving more than one bottle in the 24 hours after thawing. Otherwise, storing in one feeding quantities keeps milk from being wasted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJD22
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM
That's what these posts are for :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yes, just make sure all the milk is the same temperature before combining. 

Quoting joledalynn:

Was just gonna ask if you could combine like that. I don't wanna waste my bags. I got a 2 ounce bottle in the fridge that I wanna add another to before I store in the freezer.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting FLmommy0204:

amy6162007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I read you didn't have to have at same temp....you could just add fresh to stuff that was in fridge.  Do you have a source or somehing I can read about combining at same temps? (b/c i have not been doing this)  thanks

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Yes, just make sure all the milk is the same temperature before combining. 

Quoting joledalynn:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)