Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

growth spurt?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

my daughter is only 9 days old and she usually nurses every 3 hours on the dot...well today she has been wanting to nurse every 30-45 minutes. is she going through a growth spurt already? please help!

BabyFetus Ticker
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
summer11baby
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM

oh, or could it be because my supply is low? my breasts havent been feeling as full as they usually do when its time for her to nurse.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Yes, it is a growth spurt. Your breasts not feeling full is a good thing. How are diapers? Are you changing at least 6 diapers in 24 hours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summer11baby
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM

way more then 6 diapers in 24 hours!! but im still worried that my supply is low, i tried pumping just to see how much i could get out and i got less then an ounce out of both. this is worrying me! she has barely slept all day because shes been awake and just wanting to constantly nurse.

summer11baby
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

bump!! i really need advice! :/

celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Your pumping output is not going to tell you how much milk you are giving your baby.  A pump is not nearly as effecient as a baby at getting milk out of your breasts. 

Honestly, your breasts have regulated.  That's a good sign.  And more than six wet diapers every day means your baby is getting plenty of milk. 

She's having a growth spurt.  Babies don't have calendars, so they won't be exactly when the books say they will be, but when they do happen, this is how they eat.  Just feed baby when your baby is hungry, and you'll do fine.

And don't worry about a clock, or what your breasts feel like, or how much you have been able to pump that day.  All that matters here is your baby is having lots of wet diapers.  Good luck, I know those growth spurts suck...

just grab a huge cup of water, your magazine, the tv remote, and nurse away!

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Your pump output tells you NOTHING. Baby gets loads more from the pump.

What you describe is 100% normal. Put baby to breast, leave her there as long as she wants to be there. Dipe count is good so you're good.

If she stops being inconvenient, THEN you worry. **grin** And that's a lifelong rule!

You are TEXTBOOK PERFECT. No messing with any of this. Put her to breast, leave her there and do nothing else but that, OK? It's all good so now you can worry about the college fund.

summer11baby
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

i think i wouldnt be worrying so much if she was latching better...shes still having alot of trouble latching. i went to see a lactation consultant and she gave me a nipple shield for my left breast because she said my nipple looked slightly different then my right and maybe the baby just couldnt latch onto it the right way. well she latches good with the nipple shield but then when i try to put her on my right side she doesnt latch correctly, its hurts when shes nursing which is why i think shes not latching right. the lactation consultant didnt get to show me how to get her to latch correctly on my right side because she had already nursed from my left and wanted nothing to do with the right side while we were there.

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Your pump output tells you NOTHING. Baby gets loads more from the pump.

What you describe is 100% normal. Put baby to breast, leave her there as long as she wants to be there. Dipe count is good so you're good.

If she stops being inconvenient, THEN you worry. **grin** And that's a lifelong rule!

You are TEXTBOOK PERFECT. No messing with any of this. Put her to breast, leave her there and do nothing else but that, OK? It's all good so now you can worry about the college fund.

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM

There are some great latching videos online... we've linked some in the resources sticky at the top of this forum. They might help till you can see the LC again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)