Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's killing me!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I've been b'fing my dd for 21 months. Never once was there a moment when I would consider giving her formula or any other type of milk. Well now my brother and his gf had their baby two days ago. She's having a hard time with very sore nipples. It looks like her baby is suckling and drinking fine, she's just sore. The lactation consultant said that she shouldn't be experiencing pain. I disagree though....for my first two weeks it was excruciating. I bought her cooling pads and a nipple shield to hopefully help. Her milk hasn't come in yet. Any tips to getting it going and should it come in? Pedi said 3-4 days tops. Mine came in day 2 I think. Also the pedi said to supplement with formula since she isn't getting enough. She is nursing for 2 hrs at night and she still is hungry. Any ways to avoid formula. I told her to start pumping. I need some good advice. She ff her other child and she wants to bf her new dd but I can tell she's already close to giving up. I hate seeing this bc of how much crap is in formula. Nothing is equal to bm. Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Brandy85412
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM

She's gotta give it more time!  I did have a friend who gave one bottle for bed time before her milk came in like at two days old then went on to bf for a little over 2 years. Just tell her give it a little more time. It hurt me for a few weeks too.

mollysmom328
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Milk can actually take a week to come in!  Sounds like baby is actually cluster feeding at night.  Mine would go for 3-4 hours at once as a newborn.  It all sounds perfectly normal.  The only way to tell if baby isn't getting what it should is to count diapers.  She should have 2 diaper changes at 2 days old.

DeirdraG.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM
I was almost 4 days... I ended up subbing 50cc of formula bc Celestyn was becoming jaundice and dehydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robin1725
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM
Yeah that's what I told her. My dd would cluster feed at night too for the first two weeks or so. Hopefully her supply comes in soon so she can not have to worry. They said to supplement because her dd dropped 8 oz from birth. Oh and FYI the doc she saw was crap so that has a lot to do with it but her and my brother are clueless!

Quoting mollysmom328:

Milk can actually take a week to come in!  Sounds like baby is actually cluster feeding at night.  Mine would go for 3-4 hours at once as a newborn.  It all sounds perfectly normal.  The only way to tell if baby isn't getting what it should is to count diapers.  She should have 2 diaper changes at 2 days old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

How would doctor know if baby is getting enough? how are diapers? Baby needs to nurse nurse nurse think 17-20 hours a day is the norm for a newborn.  LOTS of lanolin when baby is not nursing, nipple shells between nursings, have baby checked for a tongue tie.

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Try to get baby to latch deeper. Tell mom to aim her nipple for the roof of baby's mouth.

If she is worried about him getting enough, tell her to watch this video. I t shows moms how to hand express and spoon feed (this is usually much better/more effective than pumping at this stage)

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Quoting robin1725:

So I've been b'fing my dd for 21 months. Never once was there a moment when I would consider giving her formula or any other type of milk. Well now my brother and his gf had their baby two days ago. She's having a hard time with very sore nipples. It looks like her baby is suckling and drinking fine, she's just sore.
All through a feed or just at the start? All through indicates a latch issue. Just at the start is normal and lansinoh will make a HUGE difference. Tell her to slather it on.
The lactation consultant said that she shouldn't be experiencing pain. I disagree though....for my first two weeks it was excruciating. I bought her cooling pads and a nipple shield to hopefully help.
Cooling pads, good. Shield should be avoided unless she's wounded and bleeding; they can interfere with milk transference and cause more latch issues.
Her milk hasn't come in yet. Any tips to getting it going and should it come in?
Nurse on demand, that's all. Takes up to six days to come in.
Pedi said 3-4 days tops. Mine came in day 2 I think. Also the pedi said to supplement with formula since she isn't getting enough.
NO NO NO. Newborns need next to nothing. Supplementing will make all her issues worse. Tell her to not take ONE MORE WORD of feeding advice from doc. Seriously. It will do less damage for her to chop her nipples off than for her to continue to listen to doc.
She is nursing for 2 hrs at night and she still is hungry.
Normal!
Any ways to avoid formula.
Pour it down the drain, and expect to be attached all the time.
I told her to start pumping.
That's just more work... she needs to leave baby on the breast and expect baby to be there most of the day and night for a while. It WILL pass. Best thing you can do for her is do all the things she thinks she's supposed to be doing instead of nursing. Laundry, cooking, cleaning, you know the routine.
I need some good advice. She ff her other child and she wants to bf her new dd but I can tell she's already close to giving up. I hate seeing this bc of how much crap is in formula. Nothing is equal to bm. Help!

She needs to simply nurse. Really, that's all. Ev ery single thing you describe is 100% normal.

robin1725
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Thanks!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting robin1725:

So I've been b'fing my dd for 21 months. Never once was there a moment when I would consider giving her formula or any other type of milk. Well now my brother and his gf had their baby two days ago. She's having a hard time with very sore nipples. It looks like her baby is suckling and drinking fine, she's just sore.
All through a feed or just at the start? All through indicates a latch issue. Just at the start is normal and lansinoh will make a HUGE difference. Tell her to slather it on.
The lactation consultant said that she shouldn't be experiencing pain. I disagree though....for my first two weeks it was excruciating. I bought her cooling pads and a nipple shield to hopefully help.
Cooling pads, good. Shield should be avoided unless she's wounded and bleeding; they can interfere with milk transference and cause more latch issues.
Her milk hasn't come in yet. Any tips to getting it going and should it come in?
Nurse on demand, that's all. Takes up to six days to come in.
Pedi said 3-4 days tops. Mine came in day 2 I think. Also the pedi said to supplement with formula since she isn't getting enough.
NO NO NO. Newborns need next to nothing. Supplementing will make all her issues worse. Tell her to not take ONE MORE WORD of feeding advice from doc. Seriously. It will do less damage for her to chop her nipples off than for her to continue to listen to doc.
She is nursing for 2 hrs at night and she still is hungry.
Normal!
Any ways to avoid formula.
Pour it down the drain, and expect to be attached all the time.
I told her to start pumping.
That's just more work... she needs to leave baby on the breast and expect baby to be there most of the day and night for a while. It WILL pass. Best thing you can do for her is do all the things she thinks she's supposed to be doing instead of nursing. Laundry, cooking, cleaning, you know the routine.
I need some good advice. She ff her other child and she wants to bf her new dd but I can tell she's already close to giving up. I hate seeing this bc of how much crap is in formula. Nothing is equal to bm. Help!

She needs to simply nurse. Really, that's all. Ev ery single thing you describe is 100% normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theatrelover86
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM
who is her pedi? please tell me it's not Dr. Bob!!!
-Kiki
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)