Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help... Dr Office is saying FTT at 9 days old

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM
  • 45 Replies
I guess I have to quit bfing. I don't know what to do.

First I was induced, had epi, IV fluids, and Taylor was born 7lbs 3ozs on 8/10. On 8/11 he weighed 6lbs 9ozs discharged on 8/12.
8/15 he weighed 6lbs 4.4ozs
Dr office had a fit, milk came in on sunday.
8/17 at 9am he weighed 6lbs 5.8ozs. He went 4 hours I couldn't get him awake so I called them they brough him in and he was awake and nursing when we got there. He nursed for an hour almost. Before he fed he weigh 6lbs 5.4ozs after he weighed 6lbs 6.8 ozs. The dr said since he didn't gained but a lil over an oz bring him in tomorrow and supplement.
8/18 we went in he only got to nurse 5mins before they were rushing to weigh him and he weighed 6lbs 8.9ozs. Another dr insisted he come back today for another weight check and we said no. He didn't get to fully eat that's not accurate.

So today he's nursed all day every hour a nurse from the health dept shows up knocking on the door and basically said we have no choice but follow the dr and come back daily if they want because they think he has FTT and are gonna call DSS if I don't.

They want him to be back at birth weight by Wednesday.
I have been offering 1/4 oz of expressed BM after feedings if he doesn't want it I'm not forcing it and 2-3ozs is over feeding him.
She told me I have an appt at 11am tomorrow and not to go in pissed off because it wouldn't work out well. I need to go in tactful.

I told dh I'm tempted to give him 2-3 ozs right before we walk in the door. Tell them he's ate and they need to weigh him then.

I think this is bulls*t!!!
What do I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Can you go get another doctors opinion. Sounds like he's fine to me. My friend went though this and they did call dshs on her. The case worker was very nice and told her she was just fine and nothing else ever happened. Some babies just don't gain as fast. But what is FTT?

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I dont think CPS or DSHS will do anything as long as your baby is healthy and being fed. It's not like you aren't feeding him and he's obviously gaining. I don't think it matters that it's little by little. Personally, I wouldn't let the doctor push me around, and I'd be getting a second opinion asap!

LoveOfWisdom

TOTAL BS!!!  Can you get any kind of attorney?  They are threatening you.  What about see a licensed LC and have them give an affidavit?  Seek out another pedi?

LoveOfWisdom

Failure to thrive.

Quoting Brandy85412:

Can you go get another doctors opinion. Sounds like he's fine to me. My friend went though this and they did call dshs on her. The case worker was very nice and told her she was just fine and nothing else ever happened. Some babies just don't gain as fast. But what is FTT?

Sarita33
I would simply say you want a second opinion and take your baby elsewhere as long as he seems fine otherwise, enough wet dipes etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM

WHAT???? His weight gain sounds great to me! My first went from 7 lbs 6 oz to 6 lbs 11 oz before we left the hospital, my second was 6 lbs 5 oz and 6 lbs 1 oz when we left, and my third was 7 lbs 9 oz and 6  lbs 5 ox when we left and no one said a thing. I nursed and they gained. I think your doing fine and you should ignore there suggestions and find a new doc. If he is having wet and poopy diapers then he is fine stop stressing and enjoy nursing your child.

Blue_Spiral
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

What the hell?

Give them the finger and keep giving baby the breast.

J.Norman
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM
He's having a wet diaper at every feeding and nursing every 1.5 - 2 hours. He has 2 poopy diapers every other day. I just don't get it. He's my 4th I know what I'm doing.
My other kids are small.
DS1 is 7 and 52 pds, DD is almost 6 32pds, DS2 is almost 4 and 27 pds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Is this a new pedi?

HERE is info from Dr. Sears... maybe print it out and tell him what a dumbass he is?

Quoting J.Norman:

He's having a wet diaper at every feeding and nursing every 1.5 - 2 hours. He has 2 poopy diapers every other day. I just don't get it. He's my 4th I know what I'm doing.
My other kids are small.
DS1 is 7 and 52 pds, DD is almost 6 32pds, DS2 is almost 4 and 27 pds

J.Norman
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM
They are supposed to be the best in the area. I've called around but no one can take all 4. Now my older kids are drug into this mess and my ex is gonna love this!

I worked for the police dept for 6.5 years and DSS has more important stuff to worry with. This is crazy. All I wanna do is cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)