Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In tears from wic :(

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM
  • 43 Replies
Well we had a wic appt today. She asked me if I was still ebf an I said yes! She said oh that's so great. I said I wanna weigh her today again. So off we went. Here are her measurements.
Birth- 7.8
2 days later 7.1
3 weeks old 7.3
4 weeks old 7.10 21 inches long
6 weeks old 8.2
7 weeks old 8.7
7 weeks 2 days 8.9 22 inches long

she was 19.5 inches long at birth* forgot to add that.

She told me she is below the 5th percentile in her weight vs length ratio. I told her she lost quite a bit the first week bc of just having colustrum. It seemed like it took a while for my milk to come in fully. I am feeling like a failure :( she has plenty of diapers and nurses every hour and a half. Idk what else to do. My first baby was ff and gained like a haus and he was a nine pounder at birth and always over the 95th percentile. Ugh. I mean Shea gaining and seems a happy baby. We had troubles with the nipple shield... I dropped it cold turkey bc I narrowed down her weight issues to that. And when I did she gained half a pound in a week. Am I not doing something right?? She's long and lean I guess but I feel bad :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scurnes
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Don't feel bad, she is fine. I generally ignore the percentiles wic gives me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristmasMom08
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:37 PM

WIC is generally full of idiots. I ignore just about everything that comes out of their mouths, simply because they go by the "norm" for babies. Babies should weigh "this" at "this age and if they don't then you're a failure... Bull. If your daughter is having good amount of wet diapers, and poos well.. Don't worry. The diaper count really is what you need to concern yourself with. If she's nursing every 1 1/2 hrs...you're doing just fine. 

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM

It did take her longer than usual to gain back to her birth weight, but since then she has gained at least 4 ounces a week. Yes, that is on the low end of normal but still in the normal range! A EBF baby this age should gain 4-7 ounces per week.

At the smae time, it might be a good idea to try and see how well she is transferring milk. You mention her having trouble and using the nipple shield. I'm wondering if she is still having some difficulty getting a good, effective latch. You want to rule out things like a poor latch, weak suck, or tongue tie.

She might just be on the low end of normal, but there are a few things in her history that suggest there may be a problem that needs to be fixed.

You can read more about suck dysfunction and tongue tie at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/tonguetie.shtml

Blue_Spiral
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM

This!

Quoting scurnes:

Don't feel bad, she is fine. I generally ignore the percentiles wic gives me.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM
4 oz a week is the minimum - she's gaining that, plus more! I think a lot of us on here have 'slow gainers' but your LO doesn't even sound like a slow gainer!
Just because LO isn't a fat formula fed baby doesn't mean you should stop!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooreTrio
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I do not agree with what this poster has to say. I don't think there is a problem with your baby or with how you are feeding. You stated stopping using the nipple shield and then seeing the gaining start happening- thus fixing the issue lol. Some babies gain fast, others slow. The issue would be with her not gaining at all, or loosing weight. Shes still a newborn so give her some time, she's content and having an ample amount of wet diapers. WIC should be your last place of concern! Then again, I'm an optimist!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

It did take her longer than usual to gain back to her birth weight, but since then she has gained at least 4 ounces a week. Yes, that is on the low end of normal but still in the normal range! A EBF baby this age should gain 4-7 ounces per week.

At the smae time, it might be a good idea to try and see how well she is transferring milk. You mention her having trouble and using the nipple shield. I'm wondering if she is still having some difficulty getting a good, effective latch. You want to rule out things like a poor latch, weak suck, or tongue tie.

She might just be on the low end of normal, but there are a few things in her history that suggest there may be a problem that needs to be fixed.

You can read more about suck dysfunction and tongue tie at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/tonguetie.shtml

I_love_my_little_boy_heartplane.gif i love my little boy hearts and planes image by skye5454  thbabygirl.gif Love girl image by marriedsBlinkies 
     Skyler Michael: 2/7/06                Adelyn June Olita:  2/10/09

Brylei Harlow: 11/13/10

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

% mean NOTHING!!! AND the chart that WIC uses is for FF babies not BF babies, BIG difference.  So yo have a tall thin child, BIG deal!

3 weeks old 7.3

7 weeks old 8.7

Thats 1lb 4oz gain in a month! Normal gain is 4-5oz a week at this age

celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

All mine were tall and thin.  Don't worry, your baby is normal.  As long as weight gain and height gain is steady, then you are just fine.

Wic goes by formula fed baby charts, and bf babies simply don't grow like formula fed babies. 

Your baby is just fine.  Don't worry about it. 

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I would ignore them. I had a long skinny boy. We didn't get wic though so I didn't have to deal with them but I'm sure they would have commented on his weight.

motheram
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM
I agree! WIC uses VERY general guidelines as hard and fast "rules". They are probably going of a FF chart. Your baby's gaining weight appropriately and having plenty of dirty diapers. With my first WIC actually told me to do something that could've literally killed my baby because they were following these guidelines without paying attention to the individual baby.

Quoting ChristmasMom08:

WIC is generally full of idiots. I ignore just about everything that comes out of their mouths, simply because they go by the "norm" for babies. Babies should weigh "this" at "this age and if they don't then you're a failure... Bull. If your daughter is having good amount of wet diapers, and poos well.. Don't worry. The diaper count really is what you need to concern yourself with. If she's nursing every 1 1/2 hrs...you're doing just fine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)