Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
My mother-in-law has talked me into getting a pedicure tomorrow. I really did not want to take DS into a place with those fumes but then again my feet are looking pretty rough. Well she also talked my sister-in-law into coming. Well my nephew has strep. Should I be around SIL with my 2 month old? I actually just thought about it and I will be seeing her tomorrow night as well at another nephews birthday party. What do I do?! I do not want my lo getting sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I'm pretty easy going and dont freak out about germs ( I don't use a cover for baby in the shopping cart, etc.) But, I agree, I would not want my 2 month old in the fumes of a nail place, and I would not want to expose my 2 month old to strep.

I'd find an excuse to bow out. Play the "Im a nervous new mommy" card. "Oh, I know I'm being over protective, I just can't help it! Silly me!"

TJD22
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM
I only wish it were that easy. My husband is away for the army and so I stay with MIL and I will get a guilt trip from hell. But our babies health is much more important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM
If your nephew has been on antibiotics for strep for 24 hours, he is no longer considered contagious. Personally, I wouldn't be too excited to hang out with a kid with strep throat. Pedicures with babies along doesn't sound super relaxing. Tell them you called and asked your doctor's opinion and they said it was best to avoid exposure. They can't guilt you if you're taking doctors advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Quoting TJD22:

I only wish it were that easy. My husband is away for the army and so I stay with MIL and I will get a guilt trip from hell. But our babies health is much more important.

Yep, you just might have to suck it up and suffer the guilt trip to protect your baby. It may be good practice for you. Baby is only 2 months old, how many things in the future is MIL going to try and "guilt" you into doing regarding baby. Sometimes you need to put your foot down and establish your turf as the mom. Whether you are being silly or overprotective is not the point. You get to decide what is best for your baby. Period.

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM

If your nephew has been on antibiotics for 24 hours, he should be OK to be around.  Be sure to wash your hands and all that sanitary stuff :)  Can you leave the baby with a sitter so he doesn't have to be around the fumes?  He'll most likely be fine, though.  Try to enjoy it!

jenny1o1
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I'd see if she wouldn't mind taking turns getting pedi's.  That way you can relax and you guys can take turns walking baby around the mall and baby won't be exposed to those fumes.   That is assuming you're going to a mall or strip mall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)