Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth spirt at 5wks?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:30 AM
  • 4 Replies
My LO has been nursing more, and when I pump she needs a little bit of formula to help make her happy. I get 3oz in one pumping. Think she could be having a growth spirt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Danita42
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM
Yes! Just keep nursing on demand, your body will naturally make more doing this.
wesleysmom08
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Thanks! I had to pump for dh to feed her, I had to help my grandma so I wasnt here to nurse.

Quoting Danita42:

Yes! Just keep nursing on demand, your body will naturally make more doing this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Three ounce is plenty for a 5 week old, she doesn't need more than that.  They only need 1 -1.25oz per hour of separation.  Any more is overfeeding.  Dh needs to feed her very slowly, stopping every ounce to burp her.  Make sure it's the slowest flow nipple.  Honestly, for a baby that young I wouldn't give more than 2 ounces because they typically need/want to feed every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 

I wouldn't say it's a growth spurt, necessarily.  The first six weeks is one big growth spurt.  =)

wesleysmom08
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 AM
She goes for 3.5-4 hours before feedings. The last time I had her at the pedi(2wks ago), she said the 3oz was alright with the time between feedings

Quoting lifetimelove:

Three ounce is plenty for a 5 week old, she doesn't need more than that.  They only need 1 -1.25oz per hour of separation.  Any more is overfeeding.  Dh needs to feed her very slowly, stopping every ounce to burp her.  Make sure it's the slowest flow nipple.  Honestly, for a baby that young I wouldn't give more than 2 ounces because they typically need/want to feed every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 

I wouldn't say it's a growth spurt, necessarily.  The first six weeks is one big growth spurt.  =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)