Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She gained weight, grew, what more does the damned Dr want?!!! (kinda long)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM
  • 2 Replies

I already asked Tabi but I guess I kinda wanted like some massive ammunition so now I am putting it out there for all of you! ;) Danica has ALWAYS had weight issues, had to be supplemented with formula (thankfully never more than about 4 oz daily). At age one she was MAYBE 19 pounds, age 2 MAYBE 21 pounds. For about a year now her doc has suggested that maybe she had some kind of GI issue that wasn't allowing her to gain weight very well. Oh, and she's 28 months in 3 days. ANYWAY, we went in June for her slightly past 2 year check up and he was concerned that she hadn't gained much weight. He also thought her head growth was off (like none in nearly a year) but I know it's because she was wiggling a lot and didn't want the measuring tape on her head because I measured when we got home and it DID show a growth! ANYWAY, she was about 22 pounds even at that point, in June. He put on our WIC form FTT because he wanted her on pediasure- sorry Tabi, I couldn't afford the organic one. Funny thing is, she almost NEVER drinks the pediasure. I took the advice many of you gave me, we did trail mix, lots of nuts, seeds. She loves bacon but almost no other meat, the only types of cheese she will eat now is grilled cheese and even that is hit or miss and grated parmesan. Sorry, going off-topic. So we went back for her stupid weight check yesterday and she had gained more than 2 pounds since June, holy cow! She also grew more than an incha nd a half! So, I thought, oh good, he'll be happy. WRONG! He said he thought that was good but he wants her back in 2 months AGAIN to "make sure she's tracking the same" Holy crap! Does he want her to gain ANOTHER 2 pounds? I am done! I will be looking for another doctor and will NOT be going back to him. I was just SOOO pissed!

Thank you, rant over....;)

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sunshine.hale
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

My aunt owns a day care and has a sweet little girl who is 3 1/2 years old who did almost the same thing.  She was tiny!  She's 4 months older than my son and when he was about 7 months, he had already outgrown her.  She was the size of about a 6 month old baby for 18-ish months.  She's fine now!  She's still small, but she's healthy.  Her mother is a nurse and did everything she could to get her to gain weight and it just didn't happen.  She's now maybe 25 pounds at 3 1/2.  Some babies are just made to be small.  ;)

FLmommy0204
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM

DD1 was a tiny thing.  Even at 4 she's only 31 lbs and at the bottom of the charts.  She was supplimented at 2 weeks for not gaining enough and I eventually went to just formula.  Even on just formula, she was still slow to grow.  She jumped to 50th on the premie formula but back to the 20th or lower once on normal formula.  He always comments on her being small, but says she's probably just a small child.  I waited for 20 lbs to come so I could forward face her (my mom had a terrible time getting the seat in rear facing, so it was actually safter in her car for dd to be forward!  Go figure!).  Anyway.  She finally passed 20 lbs closer to a year and a half.  Maybe a little sooner.  Only difference is she would eat ALL THE TIME!  She eats anything and everything and woudl put the boys to shame at day care with the amount she'd pack away during her growth spurts.  She still eats well, but is getting picky now.  Doc was only concerned in the very beginning.  I would think if she's growing in general, happy, meeting milestones, then she's fine.  Definately get another pedi. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)