Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sleep schedule for the bf baby?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

ok i'm getting a bit frustrated. my dd is 3 months and her night time schedule is frustrating me. i'm not sure if it's normal or not because my son was ff and he slept through the night early on. i HAVE to stop comparing them but i can't lol. 

ok so she goes to sleep between 9 and 10pm. she'll usually sleep anywhere from 3-5 hours (5 hours is rare though, lol) and then wake to nurse. but then after that it's mostly every 2 hours that she's waking to nurse. my mom told me (i've got to stop listening to her too lol) that she should be sleeping in 6 hour stretches at night and i told her yesterday that she wasn't. i even expressed my frustration on nursing and told her i thought about weening her and going to formula to which she responded "well, she'd certainly start sleeping better." *sigh* thanks for the support mom. (i'm not weening her...i was just blowing off steam since emma's been cluster feeding a lot the past couple days). 

anyways....is that a normal sleep schedule? she doesn't nap good during the day no matter how hard i try to lay her down (although i'm not sure how much she should be sleeping during the day either). 

is there anything i can do to help her sleep better or do i just need to accept the fact that this is how it's going to be? 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mharleyghal
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

BUMP!

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I'd love to know any tips that might help too. My daughter isn't even doing that at 4 months. And I am desperate for sleep :(

haymama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

BUMP!

Love4LexiDylan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated- we've all been there and it's awful. There is no "set" sleep schedule- every baby is different and has various needs. My 1st born was just like how you've described your LO to be at night- wanting to nurse often. I just went with the flow and made sure I slept when she did. I didn't allow that to influence my nursing decision since FF babies don't always sleep well either. My 2nd one (5 months old) sleeps through the night in longer stretches (5-9 hours straight) but DOES at times find the need to nurse more often at times and I, too, get frustrated. All I can tell you is to take it one day at a time. Just because this is how it is now, doesn't mean that it'll be like this forever. Do what you think is best for you and your baby. Congrats on BF'ing and staying strong. Moms in this group are wonderful and will help you get through the rough times. Wish I had more advice for you...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJD22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM
My DS is pretty much the same but have been under the impression that it's normal. He goes to sleep between 9-10 and wakes up every 2-4 hours. 4 hours being a good stretch. More like every two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Your baby sounds completely normal. In fact my son would wake up every few hours to nurse at night too. Think about it, during the day things are busy and it's hard to find long periods of quiet time to nurse uninterupted but at night the little one has mommy all to it's self to nurse as he/she pleases and to make up for nursing sessions cut short during the day. In addition developmentally it's good for baby to be comforted by mommy and now she is there throughout the night. Just roll with it and continue to nurse on demand, you're doing the right thing. It gets better the older baby gets and before you know it your nursling will be weaned and you will miss all those night time snuggles :-(

jenniferlee_12
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

My son is the same way and he just turned 16 months and still doesn't sleep well. I am lucky if he sleeps for 4 hours. It might just be her personality. I hope it gets better. 

Susan0805
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

FYI, formula feeding babies are NOT neccesarily easy either. I wasnt successful at nursing my first and she ended up being lactose in tolerant (I had not idea for several months) she also had reflux and was very colicky. I slept more with my second child who was breastfed throughout the night and easily comforted than I did for my formula fed baby. Hang in there mama! Things will get easier with time.

sunshine.hale
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM

very early on, DH and I would keep the house loud, noisy, and bright during the day time.  We kept all of the lights on as possible and would turn them off when it got dark outsite.  As a hormone response, baby has no choice but to stay awake or sleep with the light levels.  He's now 3 months old and either goes to sleep or nurses at 7:30, lays in his bassinet, waking up at 2:30-4:30, then when DH's alarm goes off either 5:30 or 6:30, then when there's too much light to sleep any more.  During the day time, he gets TONS of attention from brother and I and doesn't get too much sleep.  He takes a 2 hour nap during his daddy's lunch break from 11 until 1, other than that, it's like 5 minute "cat" naps.  lol

larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Totally normal. I'm so frustrated that everyone thinks formula is some magic sleep potion! (not an attack, I just see this thought a lot and it mystifies me)
I have 3 kids. All 3 bf. All three slept differently. First sleept 6 hours at night from day one and was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks, napped perfectly. Next one slept horribly! It didn't get better at all til he was 1 and he didn't sleep all night til he turned 2. Third one is 7 months and he wakes about every 3 hours.
No my sil's kids. All ff. None slept"good" at all! They were school aged and still working on sleep issues. My mom ff us. She attempted bf with older Bro & younger sis, but not at all with me. Guess ego was the terrible sleeper of the group? Me, the one who never got any bm whatsoever! My sister bf her daughter for 2 months then ff, her kid always slept great. My babysitter kid, strict ff, he's 2.5 years old and his mom still can't get him to sleep through the night.
So you can see all different kinds of sleep in spite of how they are fed. It's the baby not the baby's food!
If you are really frustrated start laying him down sleepy but awake and see if he can fall asleep on his own. It's ok to fuss for a couple of minutes, but don't cio. Some kids this is all it takes to "fix" them. My middle just needed mommy, nothing worked. And it was fine. I loved it and 2 years really wasn't that long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)