Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is waking up MORE

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 4 months old. Her sleeping habits seem to be getting worse and worse. She did have two times where she slept 5-6 hours straight..although this was over a month ago. Now, she sleeps more like 2 1/2 to 3 hours at a time at night for the first and/or second wakings and then after that wakes up like every 30-45 min. She might drink a quick drink. If I change her first, thinking she just ate 30 minutes ago (and she stays awake if I change her after feeding her, and makes it really hard to get her back to sleep), then she will cry, like a bad temper. Oh, and she hasn't been going to sleep to start with now until close to 11 PM. I don't know what to do and how to get her to sleep longer. Any suggestions? Is this normal and will it last? I feel she is just getting worse with how often she is waking up. She used to do at least 3 1/2 to 4 hours of sleep. Oh, and by 5ish, she'll start waking up more like every 15 minutes and will fall asleep if I put the paci in her mouth. And will keep this up. Yet, she'll sleep stright for like an hour or so after like 8:30 AM. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Totally normal. Mine was doing 7 hours at 3-4 months and then went back to being like a newborn! Now he's awake about every 3. I wouldn't change her diaper overnight anymore (unless she's poopy) I quit changing diapers at night when the round the clock poo stops, it just stirs them us. Also if you can start laying her down still awake so she can try to fall asleep solo (easier said than done, I know, but it worth trying) Also try to make sure she doesn't sleep within 3 hours of bedtime.
But really it's all normal and doesn't last forever. Babies aren't supposed to sleep like adults :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beckerdev
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

And this is why many of us say "don't get used to it" when moms post that early on their newborns are sleeping through the night, it usually doesn't last. Nope, nothing you can do. I agree, don't change her unless it's absolutely necessary, it wakes them up more. Do you co-sleep or bedshare? We HAD to, Danica was doing what you described until nearly a year of age. It really all depends upon YOUR baby, they are all different, some sleep more, some less, it may take a while to get her to STTN. And honestly, it's not "worse", just normal...

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM

No, I'm trying hard not to co-sleep and her bassinet doesn't have it to where you can open it when at the bed as a side crib type of thing. I have been bringing her into the bed after 5, when DH gets up and put her in his side so I don't chance rolling on her and I put things around her so she doesn't roll off. Then when she wakes up it's a little easier, especially since she starts waking more often around that time.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM

The more frequent waking is completely normal and to be expected at this time.  Four months is a HUGE growth spurt.  It is also time that teething starts for some babies and developmental milestones disrupt sleep.  If you don't want to bed-share, I don't know what else to tell you to help.  Sleeping with the baby is the easiest way to get more rest while baby is waking more during the night.  

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Normal normal nomral. It will change. And change again. And again. Don't get used to a sleeping pattern in year one.

And no, you can't do anything but make the situation conducive to sleep. She has to do the rest on her own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)