Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co-sleeping to Crib

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM
  • 3 Replies
I'm not ready for this yet. DS is 12 weeks old and has coslept with me since he was born. We are moving from Texas to Washington this Saturday and soon after I get our new place organized and the nursery finished I would like to start trying the crib. It will be hard because I really enjoy DS sleeping next to me but it is starting to put a damper on my marriage. DH is supportive but I can tell it is starting to get to him. I was thinking that the naps that I do not take with him I will try out the crib but what else should I do if anything? Opinions needed, thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I don't know - my daughter is 9 months old and prefers sleeping with us - so for the sake of sleep,we exclusively co-sleep, when she's ready for her own bed, we'll take her to the store to pick it up and let her help decorate her room with things she likes when she's older to encourage her to go into her own bed.... (that's what worked for my son when he went to his own bed around 2-3 but he slept in a toddler bed in my room at 18 months until he was ready - and even then he wanted his dog in his room with him and at 7 1/2 his rottweiller still sleeps in there with him every night.)

Anyways - some babies are easy transitioners, but if they feel safe, warm, comfortable sleeping with you, it may not be an easy transition.

My son was a very very big battle to get into his own room, he wasn't quite ready.... and I pushed it because I thought that's what I was supposed to do, and I was newly married.

i regret a lot of how I handled some of that stuff when I was first married.... my husband is VERY Supportive with our daughter and agrees with my logic on how to raise babies and attachment parenting.

what part is struggling with having your baby in bed? maybe get an attached co-sleeper?

We take it so far that we sleep on the living room floor with her with it gated off because she crawls around occasionally. LOL

She's mobile and can climb and get in and out of bed and can climb baby gates (so while they don't stop her, they slow her down, i'm pretty sure she could climb out of a crib.)

I think it depends.

i wouldn't be able to sleep with her alone in another room... she doesn't like sleeping alone, she likes being near her food source. LOL

I'd never get any sleep with how much she wakes up just to check that dad and I are there at night... if she rolls away in her sleep she wakes all the way up and I have to get her back to sleep... so I know it wouldn't be an easy transition for her, so I'm going to wait until she's fully ready.

But, that's just my experiences with it and I know that a lot of other mom's have used cribs with minimal complications or emotional issues. LOL

I personally check on my baby multiple times per nights to make sure she's settled, breathing, not too hot or too cold, I couldn't imagine having to get up to do that. LOL

Randi02
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I do it AFTER 6 months.

I just started nursing, and then laying them down when they were drowsy. If they cried, I picked them up and brought them into my bed. If they slept, I left them :)

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/1365600/view/1/type/png/width/178/height/178/black-hoser-sweatshirt_design.png

EBee12
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM

We transitioned our daughter from co-sleeping to the crib around the same age. First, she started taking naps alone. Then, we started a bedtime routine in which she would go down in a PNP in our room and then move to our bed when we went to bed, then we stopped moving her to our bed, then we moved her down the hall to her room. All of this took about a month/month and a half starting around 3.5mos. She did great with it and now much prefers to sleep alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)