Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

extended bf moms: self weaning

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM
  • 2 Replies

DD is almost 25months. Up until 3 days ago she was still nursing a lot about 6 times in the day and average 4 times a night sometimes more or less. I am also 23 weeks pregnant. I've basically been doing the don't offer but don't refuse since she was little unless I was full and needed her to nurse. I've never really had to refuse because she would definitely let me know when she wanted milk. She didn't start eating 3 meals until 18 months either. Up until now I was other the impression that she wouldn't be weaning any time in the near future but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, Sunday she only nursed 3 times I believe which isn't often for her. She fell asleep without nursing to sleep which she has never done and morning came and she never woke up to nurse which she has also never done. Monday she nursed the same amount in the day, nursed to sleep but if I take her off she will just roll over and go to sleep while half awake which is something she never use to do, I would have to wait until she was dead asleep to even move. Tuesday, she nursed about 3-4 times in the day, nursed briefly before bed and then rolled over on her on and went to sleep. She woke up once, asked for milk and before I could get my boob out she was already sleeping. So it seems like she has taught herself to fall asleep and back to sleep without nursing.

So I guess I'm asking did your nurslings start doing similar behavior all of a sudden and continue nursing or did they wean themselves after they dramatically cut down nursing? Also it seems if I ask her if she wants milk she will take it. She woke up this morning and was playing and I asked her if she wanted milk and she's been nursing for the last 20minutes which is longer then usual but she also hasn't eaten breakfast yet. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM
My guy started going to sleep without nursing around 2 years old. BUT we had worked to move it away from bedtime on purpose so that he would start. Around 27 months RIGHt after I got preggers he started walking to his room with his brothers at bedtime and going to bed without even having me tuck him in. My guy cut down from 5-8 nursings a day at 27 months to 1 nursing every other day by the time I gave birth...he was 3. He nursed atleast 1-2 times a month til he was 3.5...so it was over a year from when he stopped nursing to sleep and it was over a year from when he started cutting back. Do you offer to nurse? If you are not offering then your LO is basically being weaned using the dont offer dont refuse. If you would LIKE to continue then offer if its ben a while since she last nrused
CuSukha
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM
I will start offering,I just really never needed to with the amount that she was nursing. I don't mind the night weaning but it just caught me by surprise. She will freak if she doesn't get nursed to sleep or in the middle of the night, now all of a sudden she doesn't seem to need it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)