Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! Why is she screaming every time a boob is near her?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 16 Replies

So aside from a slight oversupply isse for the first couple of months and some mild reflux my now 8 month old daughter has been a fairly good nurser. For the past week or so, however, whenever I go to try and nurse her she arches her back, screams bloody murder, and it is a 15 minute battle of wills until she finally latches and nurses for maybe 5 minutes top. I really don't think this is a "nursing strike" as she eats happily and from what it seems like a TON when she wakes up at night for her usual 12am feed. Sometimes first thing in the morning she is fine, but for most of the day it is a battle of wills and I am just getting so frustrated as I have a 3 year old to look after and it makes NIP nearly impossible. She seems to have some mild allergies or something right now and I have been squirting a little milk up her nose and suctioning her, but even when I can clearly hear breathing fine she still acts like this. I have given her some Motrin thinking it might be teeth but it doesn't seem to help. Another thing I find odd is that she LOVES solids and seems way more interested in those (and yes I tried cutting back to make her "hungrier" for BM but she just gets mad and demands more solid food). Any thoughts? I am at my wit's end as I never experienced this with daughter #1.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deux_fleurs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM
bump!
kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:30 PM

honestly - i'd let her lead and decide how she wants to do things, it's not worth the fight - and if she wants to nurse, she will.

Love4LexiDylan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Bump! Wish I could help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Teething or ear infection? Chance of pregnancy? Af returning?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I formula fed dd and at 8 months she tried going on a formula strike where it was a huge struggle to get her to take a bottle or any formula period. Arched back, screaming, huge tantrums, put her down and she was happy as could be. I gave her more solids but still made sure she got enough formula. I started switching to 2% milk at 11.5 months to avoid the fights but she was never into formula or milk from 8 months until 4 years.

I would start allowing more solids. She's going to need them regularly soon anyways and if that's what she likes you can experiment with all sorts of flavors but make sure it's nothing with lots of sugar or sodium. She is still nursing, maybe give her a cup of breastmilk to go with her meal to avoid a fight but ensure she's getting enough to thrive off of!

There could be many other factors, Idk! But if it's just her refusing and wanting more solids that's what I'd do... Hope this helps or she stops throwing a fit about it!!! GL!!!

mama02040608
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Nursing strike. Read all about it on kellymom. I would not offer more solids at this point, until you're past the strike. Try getting more nursings in at naps and at night and watch diapers to make sure she's getting enough milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Agree...offering more solids will encourage weaning. Milk needs to be primary source of nutrition in first year. Thankfully a lady here saved me 10 months in with my first when I was offering solids before nursing.

Quoting mama02040608:

Nursing strike. Read all about it on kellymom. I would not offer more solids at this point, until you're past the strike. Try getting more nursings in at naps and at night and watch diapers to make sure she's getting enough milk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarapunkinpie88
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM
Maybe she is mad you are squirting her up the nose!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I agree with cutting back on solids & nursing more.  Could it be an ear infection or sore throat?  What about trying some breastmilk in a sippy or cup and seeing if she takes that - if so, then maybe it is a sore throat or ear infection.

shellie830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM
She might just be "too busy" during the day...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)