• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay so what is going on?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM
  • 16 Replies

Baby is eating lots and lots and I don't  think my body can keep up with it. I am trying to store milk just in case I have to start working outside the home very soon. When baby is hungry I feed her for about 30 min then a bit later she is hungry so I feed her on the other breast after that she is hungry about 15 min later or so. Well at this point my breast are empty I try to have her get the milk out but she scream and screams like she is getting nothing at all. I then have to use either formula which I don't like to use or I usually defrost my milk from the fridge. After about 2 ounces she is fine. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and drink lots of liquids. What am I supposed to do when she is screaming like that so I don't have to use up my milk stash? Also this does not seem to happen in the day time but sometimes it happens at night. It does not happen all the time but it has occured the last two nights only one time.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM

How old is she?

Rach7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM

7 weeks

Rach7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I am just afraid this is going to occur often and she will be screaming because she is hungry and I would hate that.

larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
She's probably hitting a growth spurt. If you let her keep nursing (even if she's frustrated) your body will supply more. That's how bf works demand equals supply. If you keep supplementing like that, your supply issues (if there even are any) will only get worse plus you'll wind up with a baby that prefers bottles. Give your body a chance to make what baby needs. Supply is naturally lower in the evenings as well, doesn't mean baby needs a supplement. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM
My daughter has done this same exact thing, so many times. I think about once every 2 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM

So if there are no supply issues why would she be acting like that. I try to rock her to see if shes sleepy but she continues to scream. I nurse her and she screams and pulls of the breast when she was nursing just fine 30 min before.

annaica
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM
I do have to tell you tho that using formula will DECREASE your supply of breastmilk. So if you want her to get full of breastmilk you will need to eliminate the formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile

Growth spurt.  Stick that baby to your breast and nurse away, Mama!  :)  Getting angry at the breast, acting like she's starving and crying a lot is SO normal at this age.  Just go with it, even if it's frustrating.  Formula will screw with your supply, so no formula.  No need to even offer her a bottle of expressed milk.  Nurse, nurse, nurse. 

Rach7

Do you continue to nurse her? Or how do you calm her down?

Quoting annaica:

My daughter has done this same exact thing, so many times. I think about once every 2 months.

larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Sometimes babieis scream. It's not the end of the world if you are holding and soothing and nursing. It's only bad if you are leaving her to cry alone. She's probably just learned that screaming equals bottle (easy milk) at this point. Babies are smart like that.

Quoting Rach7:

I am just afraid this is going to occur often and she will be screaming because she is hungry and I would hate that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)