Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips on weaning 18month old??

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

Anyone have any weaning tips to offer up?? My daughter is 18months and is only using me to pacify.

She managed to nap yesterday for 2hours (me holding her) without nursing to sleep. She did really well the first half of the night. Slept in her own bed from 1 until 3. Then once she woke up at 3 she dozed in and out for like 45 minutes whie I layed ...with her then refused to go back to sleep. I battled her until 5 when i finally gave in. Once she passed out I took my boob away and covered it up. She slept til 11 after that with no more boob sessions. Overall she did well for the first night, in my opinion. Unfortunately nursing her to sleep didnt really benefit me since my allergies woke me up at 8 and I'm super tired. She's been asking for boob this morning but I wont give it up. We'll just see if she does any better tonite. Since I only offered up left last night my right boob is sore and getting hard :(

• 2 minutes ago
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM

YOur baby is getting benefit from nursing..your baby IS getting milk and is getting comfort.  Your LO is used to this from the minute she was born so of course she is going to continue to ask for it.  BEST way to wean is to cut out one nursing a week..very slowly..if you do this slowly then baby will gradually get used to not nursing AND your body will slowly cut back on milk produced.

Natural age of weaning is past 2 years so her body is telling her she needs this...expect her to fight you

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Seriously, unless you're up for continued battles, don't do it this way. Distract and delay. Drop ONE feeding per week itll gone, no faste.r No cold turkey denials. It's also for your health... you don't want clogged ducts on top of allergies.

When it seems like they're pacifying they're actually getting a lot of beneift. Mom is never ever the human pacifer. THe pacifer is the mom replacement.

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Seriously, unless you're up for continued battles, don't do it this way. Distract and delay. Drop ONE feeding per week itll gone, no faste.r No cold turkey denials. It's also for your health... you don't want clogged ducts on top of allergies.

When it seems like they're pacifying they're actually getting a lot of beneift. Mom is never ever the human pacifer. THe pacifer is the mom replacement.

starreyedcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM
I talked to my lactation consultant about this today cuz I want to start weaning my 12 mo old. She said to but out one feeding every three days to a week and replace it with a sippys of whole milk...until you gradually are down to nothing! Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tylersmom119
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM
I agree with what these ladies have already told you. But have you thought of night weaning? Maybe you don't need complete weaning but night weaning would help. Try getting baby back to sleep without the breast she wakes up during the night. This will be a process and a real struggle. I suggest getting help from DH to rock her back to sleep. She is old enough to learn to put herself back to sleep at night. I hope this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM
It sounds like you are trying to do too much too soon. What do you want to get rid of first, the night nursing or the daytime nursing? Pick one. Most moms are eager to be finished with the nighttime nursing. Focus on gradually weaning from the night nursing. First get her used to going to sleep with out nursing. Next gradually push back when you nurse during the night until it is when she wakes up for the day.

When she is weaned from night nursing, you may realize you feel okay about her still nursing a few times during the day. She is still getting good nutrition and antibodies from you, even if you think she isn't! Even if she is nursing "only" for comfort, that is still good for her. Do you refuse to puck her up and hold her because it is "only for comfort"? of course not! We are mommies, we comfort our children! They need physical comfort as much as they need food.

Hang in there, and move more slowly through the weaning process. Your breasts feeling hard and sore is your body telling you that you are weaning too quickly!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)