• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know this has been talked about before (TMI- baby poop)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

Background: My son is almost 3 months (on the 22nd).  He is a big boy (13lbs now, 9 lbs 4 oz at birth.  He has had a little formula in the past (2-4 oz in a 24 hr period), but has been clear of it and strictly breastfed  for a few weeks now.  He has reflux and gas issues that he takes Tummy Soother Colic water (3x/day) and gas drops (4-5x/day). I have also gone off anything dairy for about a week 1 1/2-2 weeks now to help other issues.

My concern is his poops,  rather the consistency.  I know mucous can be normal as well as runny poop, but every single poop he has had has been the consistency of what I call watery apricot jelly.  It's bad.  He's pooping a lot more now also, to where it's so watery, leaking out diapers consistently a couple times a day, and even down my leg while he's on my lap. Has anyone gone through this?  I was hoping the mucous would decrease a bit going off the dairy, but it's increasing instead.  His last diaper was all mucous.  He's been gaining great, but do I need to have him seen, or is this totally normal?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KristyKat
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Anyone?

jencole88
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I honestly don't know. I haven't gone through anything quite this bad. If it was my DD2, I'd probably take her after it happened for about a week or maybe two max.

Ginny032
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM
We had the mucous, but it cleared with eliminating dairy? Did you cut out soy too? That is sometimes necessary as the protiens are so similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:21 PM

dexter had the mucousy diapers with some blood streaks. i cut out milk and it got better right away. i know it can take up to 4wks for the protein to be completley out of your/baby's body.

have you eliminated all dairy? i know dairy had be hidden in many foods and listed differently. i know there's a place you can look it up, maybe kellymom. i wonder if there's something else you're eating that could be causing this.

over supply and OAL can cause mucousy diapers too. sorry i'm not much help.

KristyKat
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Quoting boom_maker:

dexter had the mucousy diapers with some blood streaks. i cut out milk and it got better right away. i know it can take up to 4wks for the protein to be completley out of your/baby's body.

have you eliminated all dairy? i know dairy had be hidden in many foods and listed differently. i know there's a place you can look it up, maybe kellymom. i wonder if there's something else you're eating that could be causing this.

I read every package and have familarized myself with every milk alias (whey, casein, etc) so I know what to look for.  I am on soy, so as previously mentioned, maybe that's it.  It sucks that for WIC it's either soy or cow's milk.  I will research over supply and OAL, thanks!

Ginny032
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Yeah, I had to cut out soy too. I still drink rice milk or almond milk.

Quoting KristyKat:

Quoting boom_maker:

I read every package and have familarized myself with every milk alias (whey, casein, etc) so I know what to look for.  I am on soy, so as previously mentioned, maybe that's it.  It sucks that for WIC it's either soy or cow's milk.  I will research over supply and OAL, thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Teething can cause this. If he's not getting serious rashes, is still working toward milestones and seems otherwise normal I wouldn't worry too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)