Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD's pedi is making me nervous, I think he's going to lable her FTT

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD had her 9 month check-up today and her pedi is concerned with her weight again. I took her in on August 30th because she hurt her eye and she weighed 13lbs. Today she weighed 13lbs 5oz. He said that wasn't a good enough gain. He showed me her growth chart and she has fallen below the 3rd percentile. She was 6lbs 6oz at birth, left the hospital at 5lb 10oz. At her 6 month check-up she was 12lbs. I've been EBFing her. Once in a while I'd give her some baby food. The doctor said I should start giving her baby cereal to help her gain, but I thought cereal would just make her feel full and make her not get enough BM? I'm going to start feeding her more baby food, but I'm afraid she'll nurse less and still not gain enough. I don't know what to do, but the pedi is making me really nervous and I don't want him to say she's FTT. :( Any advice is appreciated.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemama810
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

BUMP!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM

BM has more calories than solids for sure.  Make sure whatever solids you do give her are worthwhile, cereal is NOT worthwhile.  ALWAYS nurse fully before offering solids, solids are an extra theya re NOT to replace BM.  Cereal is worthless fluff, WAY less calories and nutrition than your BM.  HOw are diapers?

For a baby 6-12 months 7-8 oz gain a MONTH can be normal, I'm not too stressed about the weight, a doctor who says FTT and doesn't say to see a LC doesnt say nurse extra, doesnt say how are diapers, doesnt look at height growth or milestones...thats a doctor I would not return too

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I agree with Tabi!

Solids will NOT help with gain!  They have LESS fat and calories than your milk, so why would you want to give more of the less fatty and caloric stuff?  You should nurse more and give less solids.  Like Tabi said, when you do give solids, give stuff with lots of good fats like avocado and sweet potato.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

BM has more calories than solids for sure.  Make sure whatever solids you do give her are worthwhile, cereal is NOT worthwhile.  ALWAYS nurse fully before offering solids, solids are an extra theya re NOT to replace BM.  Cereal is worthless fluff, WAY less calories and nutrition than your BM.  HOw are diapers?

For a baby 6-12 months 7-8 oz gain a MONTH can be normal, I'm not too stressed about the weight, a doctor who says FTT and doesn't say to see a LC doesnt say nurse extra, doesnt say how are diapers, doesnt look at height growth or milestones...thats a doctor I would not return too

littlemama810
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I thought BM had more calories than baby food, so I was confused as to why her pedi would suggest that. I'm just really concerned if she doesn't gain the weight he expects her to, he'll say she's FTT. I have to bring her back on Oct.26 for a weight check. He said if when she turns 1 she still isn't gaining well I'll have to start her on pediasure. He said beside her weight that she is really healthy. Her head circ. and height are both going up normally. She is hitting all her milestones, some early. She doesn't look malnorished or anything to me. I was really skinny as a child, so she's probably just taking after me. I just don't want the doctor to think I'm starving her or something LOL I told him I was EBFing . I don't count how many times she nurses a day, but it's at least 6 times.

eema.gray
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Know what?  Between six months and over a year of age, my son gained NOTHING.  Not an ounce (of course, he weighed 22 or 23 pounds at six months so . . . . . ).  He gained height, his head grew, he picked up all his physical skills ahead of time or exactly on average.  FTT represents far, far more than failure to gain weight.  

Once kids start moving, they slow down in weight gain.  That's part of the reason most babies pack on the pounds in their early months - to stock up for when they're burning more calories than they can consume at one sitting.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Same with my boys.  

Quoting eema.gray:

Know what?  Between six months and over a year of age, my son gained NOTHING.  Not an ounce (of course, he weighed 22 or 23 pounds at six months so . . . . . ).  He gained height, his head grew, he picked up all his physical skills ahead of time or exactly on average.  FTT represents far, far more than failure to gain weight.  

Once kids start moving, they slow down in weight gain.  That's part of the reason most babies pack on the pounds in their early months - to stock up for when they're burning more calories than they can consume at one sitting.

Lilypie - (wn9y)

littlemama810
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

My DD's started crawling around 6 months, and now already climbs on the furniture and "cruises". She's always been very active. I told her pedi this, so maybe he would consider it as a reason she isn't gaining so much.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

The problem is that most doctors actually don't know this because they see more formula fed babies who keep gaining because they have to be overfed to get the needed nutrients.

Quoting littlemama810:

My DD's started crawling around 6 months, and now already climbs on the furniture and "cruises". She's always been very active. I told her pedi this, so maybe he would consider it as a reason she isn't gaining so much.

Trailerparkmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Quoting littlemama810:

I thought BM had more calories than baby food, so I was confused as to why her pedi would suggest that. I'm just really concerned if she doesn't gain the weight he expects her to, he'll say she's FTT. I have to bring her back on Oct.26 for a weight check. He said if when she turns 1 she still isn't gaining well I'll have to start her on pediasure. He said beside her weight that she is really healthy. Her head circ. and height are both going up normally. She is hitting all her milestones, some early. She doesn't look malnorished or anything to me. I was really skinny as a child, so she's probably just taking after me. I just don't want the doctor to think I'm starving her or something LOL I told him I was EBFing . I don't count how many times she nurses a day, but it's at least 6 times.

No you don't if you don't want to :-)  You have the right to call and cancel the appointment and find a more friendly doctor.  

CafeMom Tickers

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Yes, this is true.  You do NOT have to take her in for the weight check.

Quoting Trailerparkmom:

Quoting littlemama810:

No you don't if you don't want to :-)  You have the right to call and cancel the appointment and find a more friendly doctor.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)