• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting started with pumping while breastfeeding...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM
  • 2 Replies

So I want to start pumping milk for my LO for when I go back to work. I am going back in a couple of weeks and I want to try and get him in a pattern so he will still BF but he can take a bottle 2-3 times a day as well, like while I am at work. I also want some extra time to show my MIL how to properly feed him and gte an idea of how much he will be eating at one time. When I go back to work my MIL wiill be watching my LO and she has a bad memory due to some medical problems so I want to make sure that I have everything written out for her. (I am a little concerned about giving my LO a bottle since I want to continue to BF and I don't want her to overfeed him). So my question is...when is a good time to pump and how many times a day. I don't want to pump too much because I don't want my body to think I need to produce an excesss amount of milk. So how many times a day should I pump? Is it okay to pump both sides at one time? Is it really better to pump right after he eats...and if so pump from the side he ate on or the other side. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LKRA
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

"So my question is...when is a good time to pump and how many times a day."

Mornings are the best. You will get the most if you pump first thing in the morning.

Yes, you can pump both sides at the same time. You can also nurse baby on one side and pump on the other.

I used to like to pump BEFORE baby nursed. The baby will work better at getting milk than the pump, so you'll get more that way.

Regarding overfeeding him, he needs 1 to 1.25 ounces for every hour of separation. You can divide up that total any way you like. I used to make 3 three ounce bottles for nine hours of separation.

Hope this helps!

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Also... I wouldn't bother feeding the bottle when ypou're there. Babies often reject bottles when mom is there.

Pump when you like. This is a demand response. Your body doesn't say, "Oh, it's ten o'clock, make more milk." It makes more milk when you demand it. 

Hate to  say it but my only concern for you is grandma's memory issue. DO yu have a plan B, just in case? Because she might not be able to do long term care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)