• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much Milk do I need to bring?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

DD is starting daycare tomorrow as I return to work.  She will be there probably around 9-10 hours or less, how much pumped BM should I bring for her?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
FLmommy0204
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

1-1.25 ounces per hour.  Feeding in 3 hour increments seems to work well.  So 3 3 oz bottles should be plenty depending on when you nurse before dropping off and if you nurse right when you pick her up.  I usually leave 1 extra bottle just in case. 

mollysmom328
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I send 3 3 oz bottles for 9 hours at daycare.  They only need 1 - 1.25 oz per hour so 9-12 oz for 9 hours.

mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

also look at your usual feeding schedule. My son liked to eat for a longer period of time and than wait so he liked a 4 oz bottle every 4 hours when i was working 16 hour days. my daughter now likes to 'snack' and nurse a little here and there so when i work (for only 4 hours at a time) she likes to nurse before i leave, get a 2oz bottle halfway through and than nurse when i get home. SO i agree with the 1-1.5oz for every hour but you also need to think of your schedule and your baby! :) never hurts to send extra as long as they know to keep it frozen so that if its not used its good for a later day!!!

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

This.  The need is 1-1.25 ounces per hour between feedings.  More is overfeeding and can cause supply issues for you and bottle preference for baby.

Quoting mollysmom328:

I send 3 3 oz bottles for 9 hours at daycare.  They only need 1 - 1.25 oz per hour so 9-12 oz for 9 hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)