Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me thrush troubleshoot please

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

OK - my baby girl is now 9.5 weeks old. WAH

About 2 weeks ago i started having some breast pain (no red streaks or lumps) in between feedings and especially during let downs. first thought was more OAL and excessive supply issues that im still trying to regulate! (wow second time nursing and i have 4x the milk! yikes) but i thought maybe it could be the start of thrush so i started taking a garlic capsules, cutting sugar, vinegar nipple rinses, and taking a probiotic and also giving some to baby girl. No more pain after day 3 but kept taking it for the rest of the week.

NOW- yesterday I saw some white patches on baby girls tongue and figured it was from her nursing so much in the day after sleeping more than usual in the night. well this morning its still there and it dosent wipe off but is not anywhere else in her mouth. I have no pain and she dosent seem to be bothered by it.

Doing some reading i have found that if it isnt bothering her nor I than it should just resolve it self with no treatment in a week or so. I plan on starting up my above regiment to maybe 'keep it at bay' and of course watch for any signs of discomfort in both of us and also sanitize pump parts and her paci she sometimes takes while screaming in the car.

Has anyone taken the let it resolve itself route when no discomfort was present? did it? will i keep having this cycle of passing it back and forth if i let it resolve itself instead of using treatment?

THANKS LADIES

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

BUMP

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:05 PM

What you are doing IS treating it.  You are just not treating with prescription medications.  The home treatments are commonly better than the prescriptions anyway.  If it doesn't start clearing up soon, try genetian violet or grapefruit seed extract as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Thats what I would treat it with and refuse to use nystatin unless i absolutly have too! I just feel like im not really treating it in her exept for the probiotic. anything i can do more for her since i feel like only she has it this time around?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Use the genetian violet and paint her mouth with it right before feeding.

mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM

ok. thank you - do i need to call a pharmacy for it or could i find it at like vitamin cottage??

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

You might want to call around.  Some places have it and others don't.  Some people are clueless about it and don't know that they carry it.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

you can do:  sunlight on nipples/on baby's mouth (but baby usually isn't cooperative for that), vinegar & water on nipples or grapefruit seed extract (can try either in baby's mouth), letting your nipples air out

Wash & sterilize EVERYTHING.  Pacifiers, bottles, etc (if you use them), baby's toys that have gotten in the mouth, blankets, burp cloths, etc.  I did anything cloth in the washer on the hot water temperature and everything plastic with soap & water, then vinegar & water, then soap & water.  

it doesn't really resolve itself - it just gets worse, in my case anyways.  If it does move to your milk ducts and the home remedies don't work (which I agree the home remedies are treating it), then you will need diflucan to clear it up.  Thrush gets to be painful if it's not treated.

mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)