Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EBF on demand and not really napping with a ?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

DS was born August 18th. He is EBF and I feed on demand. He is gaining weight well - as of a week ago, he was up 1.5lbs from his birth weight. Here's my "problem" - he CONTINUOUSLY cluster feeds. When he was born, he was nursing every 2-3 hours. Now he is clusterfeeding for 3-4 hours at a time - eats 20-30 minutes, sleeps for 15 minutes, then wants to eat again. He does this in the morning and afternoon for the same amounts of time, but then he only nurses 2-3 times at night(9pm-7am).

Any solutions to this "problem"? I need to be able to spend time with my other 2 kids, and he doesn't nap much either. If I am lucky, he will take a real nap(1-2hrs) right around lunch time and then go to bed around 7-8pm. I HATE CIO if I know it is during a time he is normally eating, but I need to be able to get some housework done.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Do you own a sling or a wrap?

mama02040608
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Honestly, this screams growth spurt to me and I wouldn't change a thing. Get some sort of carrier or wrap and learn how to nurse in it, that way you can do things with the other kids and still tend to baby's needs. The fact that he only gets up 2-3 times in 10 hours would be enough reason for me NOT to change anything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trish2tew
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM
I get as much done as I can wearing him in a sling, but he has been eating like this since he was 3 days old.
sarapunkinpie88
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM
In a few weeks it will even out. At least he's not doing it at night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

That is because the first few months are like a constant growth spurt since they are so frequent during this time.  

blg5484
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM

my DD did this til 8 weeks baby want to eat you need to feed him

Misteh
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:52 PM
My DD is almost nine weeks and still does this. It's starting to get better. She's five lbs up from her birth weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MoonShadow3
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM

he's too young for CIO anyway and probably going through a growth spurt. just work through it

LKRA
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM

*points*

AHA! THERE you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been wondering about you. Cough up the goods, lady! lol

Quoting MoonShadow3:

he's too young for CIO anyway and probably going through a growth spurt. just work through it

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Normal nomral normal and will pass. You get to do housework again... later. It'll wait for now. Kids first. Dust bunnies later. Much later. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)