Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inexperienced with BF

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am hoping that you ladies can help me.  My son did not sleep well last night.  He did not sleep for more than maybe 20-35 minutes at a time.  This was after the same routine yesterday, and he's been doing the same ting so far today.  He has finally laid down for a nap and he's been asleep for almost an hour and a half.

My mother came to see me today and told me that she doesn't believe my son is "getting enough" Since we BF, and we can't tell how much he's drinking my mother believes that he isn't sleeping because he's still hungry.  And yes I feed on demand so if he wakes up hungry- he gets offered the nipple to eat. 

I tried to tell her that his output is good- he's wetting/soiling enough diapers, and he gained 8oz of weight in two weeks which is normal and he's fine.  the visiting nurse was here last friday and even she said he was doing good.  I think "perfect" was the phrase she used.  I'm feeling overwhelmed as it is and I know that deep down she is just trying to be "helpful" but really has no idea what she's doing.

Are there any books/informational sites I can send her to to get her some information.  I know she's concerned about her grandson.  However the constant badgering today of "maybe you should just pump and feed him that way then you know how much he's getting" is getting a little tiresome.  Hell I even tried to take a shower and while I was in there he woke up and she wanted to give him some formula (the stuff we took home from the hospital.  we have it on hand for emergencies and becuase I've not been able to pump) becuase she thought she could help, and he might rest longer if he ate some formula.  I tried to explain to her that the formula takes longer and is harder to process in his system... I'm still not sure she got it though... 

I'm trying... I swear I am.  

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Anything you need to find is probably on kellymom. I'm mobile so I can't link. But I'm sure that you can find it there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrturley918
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Is it normal for him to eat/sleep like that? Or is there something I can do to get longer stretches so that I can nap more than once?

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Quoting jrturley918:

I am hoping that you ladies can help me.  My son did not sleep well last night.  He did not sleep for more than maybe 20-35 minutes at a time.  This was after the same routine yesterday, and he's been doing the same ting so far today.  He has finally laid down for a nap and he's been asleep for almost an hour and a half.

Welcome to life with a three week old! Pretty normal during a growth spurt.

My mother came to see me today and told me that she doesn't believe my son is "getting enough" Since we BF, and we can't tell how much he's drinking my mother believes that he isn't sleeping because he's still hungry.  And yes I feed on demand so if he wakes up hungry- he gets offered the nipple to eat. 

Mom means well.. but is incorrect.

I tried to tell her that his output is good- he's wetting/soiling enough diapers, and he gained 8oz of weight in two weeks which is normal and he's fine.  the visiting nurse was here last friday and even she said he was doing good.  I think "perfect" was the phrase she used.  I'm feeling overwhelmed as it is and I know that deep down she is just trying to be "helpful" but really has no idea what she's doing.

Yep. And that's OK.

Are there any books/informational sites I can send her to to get her some information.  I know she's concerned about her grandson.  However the constant badgering today of "maybe you should just pump and feed him that way then you know how much he's getting" is getting a little tiresome.

Ah... but that doesn't tell you anything. Pumps get less than babies do.

Hell I even tried to take a shower and while I was in there he woke up and she wanted to give him some formula (the stuff we took home from the hospital.  we have it on hand for emergencies and becuase I've not been able to pump) becuase she thought she could help, and he might rest longer if he ate some formula.  I tried to explain to her that the formula takes longer and is harder to process in his system... I'm still not sure she got it though... 

I'm trying... I swear I am.  

Toss the formula. Really. Toss it. Point mom to Kellymom.com and have her start reading.

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM

100% normal. Your mother forgot to tell you about Subparagrap[h 18B of the Mommy Contract: It's the "no sleep or sanity" clause!

You're doing fine. Everything you write is normal for this stage. Get in bed with baby and let baby go to town. This will pass. 

Quoting jrturley918:

Is it normal for him to eat/sleep like that? Or is there something I can do to get longer stretches so that I can nap more than once?

Amy614
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Yep, kellymom is the way to go.  TONS of great info on there, most if not all referencing the AAP and WHO.  Babies make their own schedle, so when he is sleeping (even if it's only 30 min), relax yourself, as much as possible.  Baby is telling your body what he needs every time he feeds, and if he is feeding frequently, it just means that he is teaching your body to make more of what he needs.  Stick to it momma,  you're doing great!

jrturley918
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Thank you :-)

Sometimes I just need to hear that its normal for him at this age.   There are times that with all the "advice" and "helpful hints" that I am doing something wrong.  

I am doing my best- and I am just hoping that this will ease up in a week or two so that I can get ready to go back to work.  Or at least start pumping enough to cover him while I go for galbladder surgery in the next few weeks (still have to have it scheduled)

Thank you all again!

tlc_sahm_kylynn
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM

aww welcome to breast feeding. my daughter was the exact same way! which resulted to bringing her to bed with me so I could sleep (big mistake she took forever to want to sleep in her own crib). and was a very high /demand /baby. I wasn't even able to put her down so I could eat the first 3 months because I would 55 just get done feeding her, and she'd want to eat again. which is fine... she re-gained her birth weight quicker and gained weight in a month! 

Continue to feed on demand. At night um feed a little bit more like every 10 min b4 you put him to bed. 96596666 I th6ink this is called block feeding? 8/ but yea do that... and just put him to bed. Growth spurts are tough but you'll get through this. we are all inexperienced at first. 

tlc_sahm_kylynn
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM

-sorry ^ my baby was hitting the key's.. .didn't notice till now, I had to put comp down for a min... lol she must of gotten to it! 

Nicky2911
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Kudos to you for being able to stick to your guns! Most people seem so quick to jump to formula as the magic solution to every problem even the doctors half the time. Grandma is to be forgiven. Likely she had her children during the bottles are best epidemic. She just wants you and your munchkin to be happy, less stressed, and healthy. Besides, pretty much everyone goes through the "getting enough" paranoia when they are unfamiliar with breastfeeding (I still go through it). Its healthy even. You never want to get too comfortable and just assume they are getting enough, but you are doing exactly what you should do as long as you are bf and beyond... watching those diapers and the scale! I'm sure you know giving your baby a bunch of formula will just shoot down your supply and make attempts at bf difficult with a low supply. I would recommend trying to pump a little excess though so that every once in awhile someone else can grab a feeding while you grab some mommy (more like not-mommy) time. Take a nap, go out, space out, just do something you usually cannot do while being tied down to a 3 hour schedule. Getting too pump happy can unbalance your fore-milk and hind-milk and bother baby's tummy then when excess is used it might throw off your supply, but a little won't hurt and every mommy needs a tad bit of down time. Kellymom is a good start It was a big help when I was losing my mind scouring the internet. I'd say get her on as many sites as you can so she can see they all scream the same thing about formula. Just make sure she looks up "establishing milk supply" rather than increasing as yours is probably fine.

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

FYI... you only need enough for the time you will actually be at the hospital. 1 - 1.25 ounces for each hour you'll be away.You may nurse again the moment you can handle baby. Nothing you're given for gall bladder surgery is unsafe for nursing. Ben there, done that... making room for you on the bench here.

Quoting jrturley918:

Or at least start pumping enough to cover him while I go for galbladder surgery in the next few weeks (still have to have it scheduled)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)