Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two questions-

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM
  • 14 Replies
If you use binkies, (pacifiers), how old was your child when you introduced them, and did it make nursing harder? Next week, I have to start driving my older son's to and from school again which is about 1 1/2 hours in the car each trip! I was thinking about giving the new baby a binky in the car, since he seems to ALWAYS need to be suckling, but I'm scared it will mess up his latch...? Should I just let him cry in the car every day for that long??

Second- did you wake your child to nurse? I've heard people say that you have to nurse every 2-3 hours in the begining even if baby doesn't want to to establish supply? It hasn't been an issue yet, but he's been napping for about 2 1/2 hours now for the first time, and it seems criminal to wake him!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

DD got a pacifier starting at a few weeks.  Never messed up latch, but I also gave bottles of BM, so she just never got nipple confusion.  Some babies can get confused or develop preference.  I always woke baby to nurse.  She was jaundiced and needed to nurse often.  Rarely did she sleep more than 3 hours, though.

lundaylove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM

cambree got a paci around 3wks or so might have been less its not affected her latch or anything. also i never wake baby. my daughter goes 3-4hrs between nursing sessions now when born it was like 4-5hrs. and she's slept thru the night since birth. so we just dont wake her =]

Elyssa414
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Thanks guys! Bump! Anyone else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Tried a pacifier... rejected till he started using it as a teether. You may try one right now. If the latch changes, toss it If it's rejected. then yes, baby will be unhappy in the back seat. You can set up a mirror so he can see you. That worked here.

No waking sleeping babies! Not unless there is a problem like jaundice or lack of dipes. Smash your clocks; no timing of feeds either.

connors_mom06
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM

MY DS all 3 of them were ebf for 16 months and I introduced the Pacifier at birth. I never had an issue with latch with any of them! I never wake my sleeping baby up to nurse he wakes when he is hungry and then we nurse otherwise just let them sleep and enjoy getting sleep yourself!

SexyMomma06
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM
He was introduced a pacifier at 7 weeks but didnt start taking it activley until last week at almost 6 months. Never woke him and he would sleep five hours at night in the begining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM

This is how it was for me and my second.  My oldest took one from day one and I think it caused him to wean from nursing earlier than he should have.  

I agree.  Do not wake the baby unless there is a jaundice or not enough diapers issue.

Quoting gdiamante:

Tried a pacifier... rejected till he started using it as a teether. You may try one right now. If the latch changes, toss it If it's rejected. then yes, baby will be unhappy in the back seat. You can set up a mirror so he can see you. That worked here.

No waking sleeping babies! Not unless there is a problem like jaundice or lack of dipes. Smash your clocks; no timing of feeds either.

PerfectlyWarm
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Normally I would say no to pacifiers but it would be hard to listen to your little one cry for that long and would certainly make concentrating on the road difficult.  I would wait to see if he might fall asleep first.  I tried using a pacifier with my first but he would not take it until he was about 6 months old and it did not change the latch at that time.  I am not bothering with my new born.

I do not wake my baby to nurse.  I was told that a healthy baby will wake on his own when he is hungry.  I would also recommend nursing on demand to ensure he is getting what he needs when he needs it.  My little one will nurse frequently for long stretches, taking short cat naps, and take a good 3 to 4 hour nap at least once in the day.  In the evening he seems to wake every two hours to nurse.

geronima2003
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM
He was a few days old. He never let's that thing go! But no confusion here. He also takes a bottle (bm) just fine about once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koosh
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I gave my daughter a pasifier at around 3 weeks, no latch issues when i nurse her at all. 

For the first two weeks i woke her up to feed every two hours during day, and 4 hours if she didnt get up in the night, but after the first two weeks and i know she was gaining weight good i feed her when shes hungry and never wake her up anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)