• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My first Breastfeed :)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

Sorry I look so terrible, lol after 17 hrs of trying to have natural labor, the baby still faced wrong so we had c-section. This was our very first try at Breastfeeding. It is best when they have their first hour of life to get them started out. We did great :) She is now 8 days old, and I have been through alot of hardship breastfeeding the first 5 days, but we are starting to get the hang of it. If you end up having sore nipples and blood, remeber your latch isn't correct! Now it's painless for us, and we are trying trying trying. Do NOT give up so easily at breastfeeding, it takes awhile to get the hang of, I am still learning for she is my first but It is so worth it when they do latch on and you look down into their eyes and know you're providing for them in a way no other can :) The pain starts severe and I even cried an hr at night one time ready to give, but you have to keep trying and she or he will get it. My problem was her position, the baby shouldnt have to turn or twist its head or body to latch on to your breast, you need to put their belly against your belly, their nose perfectly aligned with the nipple then rub your nipple onto their mouth to get them to open wide. Once they do bring the baby to you, not your breast to the baby, for this causes discomfort to your baby, and if the latch hurts, take ur little pinky finger slide into gums and break latch and keep trying till it does not hurt. Dont give up mommies :)

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

BEautiful!

Amy614
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Agreed!

Quoting NoraDun:

BEautiful!

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Good for you Mama!  Enjoy your nursling!

With both of my kids, it was more than a month before I was pain-free.  Due to flat nipples...I used a shield and my son sucked so hard he pulled the tip of my nipple through the shield.  OUCH!  Blood and pain ensued...

But we got it all worked out.  He nursed until 34 months........I was six months pregnant with his sister.  I had problems with her also (pain, bleeding) but we worked through it without shields.

Neither of my kids ever had formula.  I also pumped and donated (more than 1200 ounces with my daughter).  My daughter is almost two years old and still nursing about four times a night.  Good cuddle time!

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Also, remember that you are embarking on "nursing" not "feeding from the breast."  Babies nurse for a multitude of reasons, sometimes the least of which is hunger :)

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us! 

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

Nina143
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Congratulations on your breastfeeding success!

Nicky2911
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM

You guys look beautiful glad to hear things are going well. Never give up! Never surrender! lol Interesting technique that a WIC lactation consultant showed me that worked great since my girl would not open wide no matter how much I teased her lips. With pointer finger on the opposite side of the breast from baby press the side of your breast (just under the nipple) against the opening mouth. You want the nipple pointing up just under their nose. Rub the breast against their mouth to try to get them to open wider and then sort of "pop" the nipple into the mouth with the one finger. Be careful of long nails don't want to scratch the roof of baby's mouth when you pop it in :)

Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Love the pic great job mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)