Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I need to supplement...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM
  • 30 Replies
Is goats milk better than formula? Dd still hasn't gained any weight. She's still 8 lbs 10 ounces. Has her tongue and lip ties clipped one week ago today. If by next week no gain still I'm afraid I'm gonna have to supplement. I don't want to use formula... So is goats milk the next best? I'm guessing I can use the evaporated? The lc did the weighing before and after feeding thing today and she went from 8 10 to 8 13 after her feeding. There's plenty of milk I just don't know what to do :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starreyedcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Here's a bump for you...I used formula when o had to suppliment with my older two kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM
No you cannot use goats milk. It's either formula or breast milk as the main food until 1 year

Did you get her mouth checked for any additional issues? DS had an occupational therapist come after his tongue was clipped & she found that his mouth was super tight & he didn't have an upper lip reflex. She showed me exercises to do 3x a day for a few weeks & it has made a BIG difference

On an unrelated note, after the tt clipping DS starting showing signs of a milk pretein sensitivity (excema, green poops, lots of spit up) in addition to his low weight gain. I eliminated all dairy about a month ago & now his weekly weight gain is at least the minimum (4 oz until 4 months, 3 oz 4-6 months)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Nope. At two months it MUST be formula, sorry. No goats milk at this age.

But if you got that weight from your own scale, disbelieve it. All weights from the same scale. Home scales are notorious for being inaccurate.  Also look at dipes and milestones which are far more important than weight.

If there's plenty oif milk, it' remains a baby problem not a milk problem.

larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM
No goats milk. Breastmilk or formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Goat milk is the next best thing from Mom's milk. My son was raised on it because of his allergies. He couldn't have any formula. and we didn't know what was his exact allergy until he was 3 and it was everything!!

soy, which is found in all formulas, and nuts which are in the sublimental formulas when the kids cant handle the regular ones.

The canned or the fridge and even have powder goat milk. They are all the same, Powder does not make easy with cool water it requires boiling water but last longer in the fridge before going sour.

organicyogalove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM
I will pm you a recipe for gaits milk formula, plain pasteurized goats milk is a no no though.
cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I would disagree, my son was put on goat milk at two months he is now 9 and doing great!

Quoting gdiamante:

But if you got that weight from your own scale, disbelieve it. All weights from the same scale. Home scales are notorious for being inaccurate.  Also look at dipes and milestones which are far more important than weight.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM

YOu need to look for some donor milk then no goats milk at this age!  Just not a good idea..its BM or formula and I would look for donor milk

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Yeah but alone goats milk is very hard for a baby that age to digest and it doesnt have enough nutrition..its close but it needs stuff added. Just because one baby did well doesnt mean all will...I rode in cars without carseats as a child and I'm still here does that mean all kids are fine without carseats

Quoting cowgirls10181:

I would disagree, my son was put on goat milk at two months he is now 9 and doing great!

Quoting gdiamante:

Arisce
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM

NO goats milk! If you HAVE to supplement use a hypoallergenic formula ONLY IF you cannot get donor milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)