Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should I give my 4 month old food?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM
  • 62 Replies

I exclusively breastfeed and I went to the doc today and they told me I should give my 4 month old rice cereal, because he will not have enough iron... can't they test iron levels (I should have asked)? They said I shouldn't give him fruits or veggies before 6 months because of food allergies. What's the low down? What did everyone else do?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starreyedcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Around five months I gave rice cereal...the single grain rice kind..did it for a month of only cereal...then started the other foods...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Ignore your doc. Outdated advice. The iron in breasmtilk is more easily absorbed than that in solids. NO CEREAL... it constipates and the iron in it is very hard to absorb.

Start at six months. Fruits and veggies. And find a new doc or ignore this one.

ritzbit
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:58 PM

My dr asked me when I was going to start solids at our 4 month appt.  I told him around 6 months.  He said the same thing about iron.  I told him I thought breastmilk had everything the baby needed.  He said most pregnant women are low on iron (anemic) and it continues when breastfeeding.  So he said he likes to give the baby supplements at 6 months if they aren't eating iron fortified cereal.  He's been a great dr to all our children, so I trust what he says, but I do get the final decision.  You start food when you want to :))

2Esmommom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM
First, baby has iron stored from in utero till they r @ 6 months & too much will bind them. However, if u think babys not gaining enough or needs more than bm then go for it! My first started at 5 months & didnt really go for the rice (very bland) SO I put it in applesauce & he devoured it! I tried the same with my 2nd & it was a no go (rice in applesauce at 5 mo's). Then I tried rice in yogurt & he loved it! And btw it doesnt matter if u start with fruits or vegies. Eventually they'll only eat mac n cheese or ckn nuggets or something! Lol. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Ignore your doc. Outdated advice. The iron in breasmtilk is more easily absorbed than that in solids. NO CEREAL... it constipates and the iron in it is very hard to absorb.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Solids LOWER weight gain, its proven that BM has more calories than any solids and even formula,you never add solids for weight gain.  6 months is the beginning of the loss of iron stores but BM has more easily digested iron than anything else..sure formula and cereal LOOK like they have iron but its fortified(fake) iron and badly absorbed.  Starting solids before the gut is closed means baby misses out on perfect nutrition.

Quoting 2Esmommom:

First, baby has iron stored from in utero till they r @ 6 months & too much will bind them. However, if u think babys not gaining enough or needs more than bm then go for it! My first started at 5 months & didnt really go for the rice (very bland) SO I put it in applesauce & he devoured it! I tried the same with my 2nd & it was a no go (rice in applesauce at 5 mo's). Then I tried rice in yogurt & he loved it! And btw it doesnt matter if u start with fruits or vegies. Eventually they'll only eat mac n cheese or ckn nuggets or something! Lol. Good luck!

blg5484
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM

DD never got cereal of any kind and started foods at 8 months. when something is fortified it means that they process it and it lost its nutrients so they add it back fortified it DD had her iron checked at her 9 months check up and the nurse was shocked at how high it was normal but high she had only started on solid the month before and it was real food solids not the baby jar crap. giving baby cereal with iron will block the iron from your milk which is VERY bad cuz the iron in your milk is what baby can process

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Read this link and then decide for yourself.  My second got his first bite of food at 6 1/2 months.  He didn't get much until he started demanding a bite of my dinner every night a few months later.  

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

harry209
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM
This

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tabby57
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I would skip cereal and start solids whenever you feel comfortable. We started around 6 months with mashed avacodo and banana. I got the same thing from my Dr. about iron. We just went for a 1yr check up and they did test her iron. She was sure it would be low since shes not on formula or taking vitamins. Her iron was PERFECT! Keep giving that baby the good stuff, momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)