Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant and Breastfeeding.... PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am ebf my 7 month old son and just found out on sunday that i am expecting my 4th child. I was at the dr today but forgot to ask if its ok to continue ebf.... If there is anyone that has been in this situation and knows what the answer or recommendation is i would appreciate it. Thanks

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
00momma00
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM

my BFF has with all Her kids, she's expecting #5 now. Her doc has said it was just fine.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM
From what I've read on here, it should be okay if/until your milk dries up or turns to colostrum. The colostrum isnt enough for a baby under a year & you will have to use pumped milk, donated milk, or formula during that time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM
I am still breastfeeding my 19 month old and 39.5 weeks pregnant! My supply did dip some (I think) and my milk changed to colostrum around week 17.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connors_mom06
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

i guess ill try to stock up on some pumped milk then.... How will i know when it turns to Colostrum? 

ShadowLark

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I am still breastfeeding my 19 month old and 39.5 weeks pregnant! My supply did dip some (I think) and my milk changed to colostrum around week 17.

Yeah, this is what usually happens.  When your milk changes back to colotrum, he'll need other foods, the colostrum isn't enough for him.  But that shouldn't be for a few more months.  CONGRATS!

connors_mom06

I am having very bad cramping could this be from BF? or just pregnancy related?

larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM
It's perfectly fine to do. Just make sure you are eating well & staying hydrated. Also watch babies diapers. If they get too low you might need to supplement. Every woman is different, but a lot dry up or have a big drop in production at some point. Some right away, some not til later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM

This is my 2nd time to BF while pregnant and I have never had a problem. My milk has never dryed up. Keep breastfeeding and watch diaper count. As long as diaper count is good you are fine.

morrigan914
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM
I got pregnant while nursing my daughter. I did not dry up, but did wean her at 20 months (I was about 4 months along) because it started to HURT! Each and everytime was like nursing a new born before your nipples adjust! But that was my experience, it does not happen to everyone!
maggiemom2000
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM
I got pregnant when DS was 9 months old and I continued to breastfeed him until he was 14 months old.

It is usually safe to continue breastfeeding. Some may tell you it can cause contractions, but so can sex. So, basically, if dr says it is okay to continue to have sex, then you can continue to breastfeed. The rates for miscarriage are no higher for moms who are still breastfeeding and moms who are not.

It will decrease your milk supply. It can make your nipples sore. You may be able to continue to provide enough breast milk with more frequent nursing.

It can be normal to have some cramping early on your pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)