Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I understand more why mothers choose to breastfeed their toddler/pre-schooler

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my daugher turned a year and we are still breastfeeding, and I love it and its going great. With my first born, he was off breastmilk 2 weeks before he turned a year. (If I had the knowledge I do now, I would have breastfed him waayyy longer) But you live and you learn. Anyway, I told my friend that I can see myself nursing my daughter until she is a 2 or 2 1/2 and I said, "its really no different than when she was a newborn." And with that statement I understood why mothers continue breastfeeding past the point when their child really doesn't "need" the breastmilk to survive. Also I see my daughter as still such a baby,so maybe that's why I feel comfortable contining to nurse her. I saw my son as such a baby up until I had my daughter. On the day he visited me after I had my daughter, he looked huge to me and so much older. I think I was finally seeing what other people saw, a 3 year old! Not a baby. But with that being said, I think the relationship changes, but  nursing her now, versus nursing her when she was a newborn is really not all that different. My friend said that after a certain point though, she feels like its molestion. I don't feel that way at all. Do I have my own age comfort level? Yeah I think so, maybe 3 will be the time to wean, or 4...I really don't know how I will feel now. But when I look at my son, who is now 4 I could never imagine nursing him, but I guess that's because our nursing relationship stopped at a year, and with my daughter its still continuing. I would feel really uncomfortable to be nursing my 4 year old son. I think everyone has their cut off age, and I understand why people continue. Its a gradual shift from newborn, to toddler, and I think with that nursing just becomes second nature. I hope I made some sense in this post, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamatel
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I understand what you mean.

crispysmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Quoting mamatel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustMeAndMason
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM
Your post could have been written by me. Only difference is I never weaned. I made a decision to stop when my child was done. My son nursed until my now baby daughter was one day old. He was 3 1/2!!! This was never when I thought he would stop. I thought he would at two. Now he is almost 4. He seems so old to me. I'm glad I nursed him as long as I did, but I am glad he stopped. I have been nursing non-stop for almost FOUR years!!!! I'm happy with how the nursing is going with my daughter too. Breastfeeding is amazing!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Molestation involves forcing someone to do something they don't WANT to do, or wouldn't do on their own.

Most kids who are still nursing at the age of three are doing so because they LOVE it.

And, besides those reasons you gave, I plan to do it because it's so damn good for them!

And nobody will verify or correct me on this, but I remembered reading that children who were breastfed after 2 years (or was it one year?) showed significantly higher IQ than children not breastfed past that age. 

PerfectlyWarm
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I understand completely what you're saying.

Danita42
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM
I get it! It will be 2 yrs nursing for us come October 5. I have also read about how it cam improve their IQ as much as 5- 15 points! Also that it can help them get through those tough toddler years. Good for you mama!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM

YEP tottally makes sense.  I had the same feelings when I had my 3rd child and finally BF longer than a month or so.  My older 2 were 5 and 3 and I could never have thought about BFing them at all, but I ended up BFing my 3rd child til 3.5 years never could've imagined that til it happened.  Most people dont go into nursing PLANNING to nurse til 3-4 some do but most dont...it just happens.

kylansmommy09
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM

BUMP!

jridgill
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJill87
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Quoting mamatel:

baby development

baby

pregnant
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)