Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm showing DEFINITE signs of pre-labor...at 35 weeks and 5 days...*Update* at home...

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 6:11 AM
  • 24 Replies

Some of this is sure to be TMI, so, fair warning. :)

This is my 5th (for all intents and purposes) full-term baby.  Of course none of my pregnancies have been the same, however, I never expected to experience some of the more "normal" labor symptoms this time around, just because I haven't before.  

This is what's going on:

First of all, I've been on medication (Procardia) to stop my contractions since I was 30 weeks.

The contractions never completely stopped, though they did slow down and back off for a while.

At 34 weeks and 6 days I noticed that Riley dropped.

Since then I've been having  a lot of contractions, although the majority are still irregular.

*TMI WARNING* Just yesterday I noticed discharge in my underwear when I went tot he bathroom.  This is not something I have previously noticed duringany pregnancy.  It was white, thick, and very sticky.

Shortly after that, (I finished going tot he bathroom, of course :P), I went to wipe and noticed that I am apparently losing my mucus plug.  Ok...now it seems like my whole body has a cold.  That stuff looks NASTY! lol

I haven't been gaining anymore weight.

My appetite isn't what it was even a week ago.

I have severe groin pain, and  a lot of pressure down below.

Last night was the first night ever that my contractions didn't stop completely when I went to bed.

My heartburn, nausea, indigestion, and headaches (like the "cleave my head in two" one I woke up with this morning) have increased, and although Riley is still active, he's not as active as he was, and certainly slowing down when I'm having contractions.

I know it won't be long now, and as much as I would like to at least make it to 37 weeks, that's looking pretty slim, medication or not.  As it is, My DH (John) will be putting his boss on standby as of today.  He's also got permission to have his cell phone on him and at least on vibrate.  Whether i reach his boss first or not, I will be calling John as soon as anything happens.  Lucky for us, the diaper bag, Boppy pillow, and carseat are already in the car.  All I'll have to do is pack our bag, and since we just did laundry yesterday, that should be easy.  Again, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that for at least a week and 2 days, but if it does, we are prepared! :)

*UPDATE* After spending all day being monitored and having them try and stop my contractions, it was determined that, although I am leaking amniotic fluid, my water has not completely ruptured.  My contractions are 2-4 minutes apart, and since Riley is so healthy and was looking so good on the monitors (they also did an ultrasound), I can labor until my water breaks completely FROM HOME. :D  It's something I had mentioned to my doctor that was on par with my birth plan, and she remembered!  She said, at the rate I'm going (I'm still taking the Procardia) there's a good chance I won't make it to my next appointment, but we're still hopeful.  I'm just glad things didn't progress so far as to cause me to have my baby boy tonight.  I'm so incrediblyrelieved that he's going to stay in a little longer!  Thank you for all of your well-wishes! :)

by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 24, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Keep the faith momma, a mucous plug and replenish itself, it can be 2-3 weeks afetr losing it til birth and still be in the normal range, I hope for your sake its that long!

HUGS

Red_Tempest
by Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM

I hope so, too, but I'm not sure my body is listening to me! lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Keep the faith momma, a mucous plug and replenish itself, it can be 2-3 weeks afetr losing it til birth and still be in the normal range, I hope for your sake its that long!

HUGS

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Yes, this. I hope your baby cooks to 37. Good luck.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HUGS

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShellGardner
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:12 AM
I wouldn't worry my first son was born at 35 and 4 days perfectly healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma2b08
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:16 AM
Praying that baby cooks til he is ready to be born healthy. Whenever that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3angels23
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM
Good luck HUGS!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Tempest
by Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM
I'm at the hospital being monitored. 1 1/2cm dialated and contracting steadily. Don't know if my doc will try and stop this or not...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM

oH GOODNESS Well I hope they make baby cook...as a warning if they give you a steroid shot it can suppress lactation up to 10 days..so try hard to stick it out momma...baby needs to cook a little longer

SuperMom2433
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM
I was fighting preterm labor since 21weeks, in the hospital 4times to have labor stopped. I was also on procardia. At 35 weeks i was a fingertip dialated. I lost my plug many times. At 39 weeks I had our baby boy. I wish you luck and hope baby bakes for a couple more weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Hang in there, Mama!  I held on for 8 weeks at 2.5 cm dilated with Andy.  He was born at 35 weeks and had a 10-day stay in the nicu.  Stay positive, relax, hydrate, and know that you and baby are in my prayers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)