Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDIT*** Galactagogues

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM
  • 7 Replies
***EDIT/ADD***

-THANKS!! I LOVE this group!! Honestly, breastfeeding can make any woman feel insecure and/or frustrated from time to time! My hubby can't relate, he tries to understand, but he is a man in every sense of the word. LOL. And all my girlfriends bottle/formula feed! So it is so SO great to have a place to go to be encouraged and supported and just totally WELCOMED :-) You guys are the best. :-) Thanks for supporting me in doing something that is hands-down the best thing for my baby but strangely an unstream swim (God only knows why) with half the crazy world.

FIRED my doc. Currently looking for a new one. I think I will reach out to my local LLL chapter. I bet those ladies will know a great local pediatrician and OB. Especially since I think I ended up with an induction and C-section unnecessarily. For some reason people look at me like I have THREE HEADS if I say that I want as natural a birthing experience as possible... Why is that crazy? And I got pressured into an induction which was a HORRIBLE experience, and after having had two healthy vaginal deliveries baby number three ends up with a section? It shouldn't have happened.
At least hubby agrees, next time we're hiring a doula and a midwife (my first two birthing experiences were AWESOME... and surprise... they were delivered by midwives...

THANKS LADIES!!!

Hello ladies,
I'm wondering, have any of you tried different galactagogues to help increase supply? Either herbal or medicinal... if so, what did you try and what were the results? Also wondering if any of you noticed any side effects on baby? (Gassiness or fussiness, etc)
Would LOVE to hear what your experiences were/are!
I've tried a few teas and fenugreek seed capsules myself, but I'm not sure if they are working or not...

more info:
My supply is low. We had a rough start. I ended up with an emergency c section and they wouldn't let me nurse right away because I was having some complications. Finally i got him and he was too sleepy by then!! grr! Then he was fussy so the nursery staff took him, gave him a binky AND a bottle of formula without consent! Grrr some more!
I ended up with a massive incision and I was in a whole world of pain for the two weeks following his birth. I think the pain may have caused a bit of a supply issue too, or at least the stress related to getting two older kids off to school and caring for a newborn while in extreme pain by myself. Hubby was just not really any help...
Sooo, baby IS gaining enough weight but he was underweight at birth due to complications though he was full term. He is wetting enough diapers. But the pediatrician is really pushing more supplemental formula on me, which I have been refusing, but getting yelled at for. He already gets a two oz bottle of formula in the evening AND I am nursing around the clock!! My nipples are SO SORE. It doesn't help that he has a high palate so I have to really work on his latch and it stings regardless because he pinches and he is gassy ..probably due to that awful formula.. So he has a habit of yanking off to pass gas, but not breaking suction first and I'm not always fast enough!
Long story... I would like to END the supplements without losing my sanity and I would love to have some extra milk to freeze in case of an emergency, or a little extra to express for my two older babies too!
CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM

First off, what makes you think you have a supply problem?

If you don't have a supply problem most of that stuff won't do anything for you. The only way to know if you have a supply problem is diaper count. As long as baby is having 6-8 diapers a day your supply is fine!

navymommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM
Quoting jjchick75:

If you don't have a supply problem most of that stuff won't do anything for you. The only way to know if you have a supply problem is diaper count. As long as baby is having 6-8 diapers a day your supply is fine!

My supply is low. We had a rough start. I ended up with an emergency c section and they wouldn't let me nurse right away because I was having some complications. Finally i got him and he was too sleepy by then!! grr! Then he was fussy so the nursery staff took him, gave him a binky AND a bottle of formula without consent! Grrr some more!
I ended up with a massive incision and I was in a whole world of pain for the two weeks following his birth. I think the pain may have caused a bit of a supply issue too, or at least the stress related to getting two older kids off to school and caring for a newborn while in extreme pain by myself. Hubby was just not really any help...
Sooo, baby IS gaining enough weight but he was underweight at birth due to complications though he was full term. He is wetting enough diapers. But the pediatrician is really pushing more supplemental formula on me, which I have been refusing, but getting yelled at for. He already gets a two oz bottle of formula in the evening AND I am nursing around the clock!! My nipples are SO SORE. It doesn't help that he has a high palate so I have to really work on his latch and it stings regardless because he pinches and he is gassy ..probably due to that awful formula.. So he has a habit of yanking off to pass gas, but not breaking suction first and I'm not always fast enough!
Long story... I would like to END the supplements without losing my sanity and I would love to have some extra milk to freeze in case of an emergency, or a little extra to express for my two older babies too!
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting navymommy:

Quoting jjchick75:

Sooo, baby IS gaining enough weight but he was underweight at birth due to complications thou henwasnfull term. He is wetting enough diapers. But the pediatrician is really pushing more supplemental formula on me, which I have been refusing, but getting yelled at for. He already gets a two oz bottle of formula in the evening AND I am nursing around the clock!! My nipples are SO SORE. It doesn't help that he has a high arch so I have to really work on his latch and it stings regardless because he pinches and he is gassy ..probably due to that awful formula.. So he has a habit of yanking off to pass gas, but not breaking suction first and I'm not always fast enough!

My son was given a 4 oz bottle of formula his first night without my consent. and I was so mad! He never lef tmy side after that and I didn't let them take my twins except to the NICU because they were 35 weekers and I wanted to make sure they were okay. But they let me nurse them before they took them and then I nursed as soon as they brought them back to me about 45 minutes later! But anyway the best way to boost your supply is going to be cutting out the supplementing and getting baby back on the breast for all his feedings. Baby will do a better job getting your supply up than anything you can take. Supplementing is horrible on supply and cause nipple confusion. If your baby is gaining and having plenty of diapers while getting just breastmilk there is no supply issue. You need to get a new doctor. This one is obviously not supportive of breastfeeding and his advice could really hurt you in the long run!

CafeMom Tickers
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this

If he's only getting the 2 oz bottle at night, just cut it out and see how diapers are.  Honestly, I don't think it will cause his diaper count to go down.  Sounds to me like you have a great supply!  You're probably not seeing an increase since there is nothing to increase :)

ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this
It definitely sounds like the root of the problem is the supplements. Even just a tiny bit can hurt supply. I would stop the supplements and fire the doctor before anything else. If he is gaining weight and making his diaper count, you don't need the supplements.

But, for reference, I have found that oatmeal works best for me. I have a small bowl of it every morning. I have also noticed that when I eat a lot of tuna(2+ cans), I end up engorged the next morning. I tried fenugreek, but it didn't seem to make a difference, and made my daughter irritable and gassy. Oh, I also have a cup or 2 of Mother's Milk Tea every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no indication of low supply in your post. If Baby has 6 or more wet or dirty diapers per day & is gaining an average of 4 oz per week (1 pound per month), then your supply is fine.

If you are only doing 2 oz per day just cut out that bottle. Your body will make that when baby nurses more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting navymommy:

Hello ladies,
I'm wondering, have any of you tried different galactagogues to help increase supply? Either herbal or medicinal... if so, what did you try and what were the results? Also wondering if any of you noticed any side effects on baby? (Gassiness or fussiness, etc)
Would LOVE to hear what your experiences were/are!
I've tried a few teas and fenugreek seed capsules myself, but I'm not sure if they are working or not...
Umm... I dont' think you need anything but a new doc...

more info:
OK. Birth in a barn next time. The goats can do the c-section. **grin**
They usually aren't...unless given written procedures and checklists.
Sooo, baby IS gaining enough weight but he was underweight at birth due to complications though he was full term. He is wetting enough diapers.
Then you don't have a supply problem. NOTHING you take will make a difference.
But the pediatrician is really pushing more supplemental formula on me, which I have been refusing, but getting yelled at for. He already gets a two oz bottle of formula in the evening AND I am nursing around the clock!! My nipples are SO SORE. It doesn't help that he has a high palate so I have to really work on his latch and it stings regardless because he pinches and he is gassy ..probably due to that awful formula.. So he has a habit of yanking off to pass gas, but not breaking suction first and I'm not always fast enough!

End the supplements. They are NOT needed. FIre the doc and find a new one.

Or simply skip the well checks. They're not needed.

Galactagogues will do nothing for you because it's not a supply problem. It's a DOC problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)