Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping Moms

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:53 AM
  • 10 Replies
So, I have noticed a lot of questions lately about pumps and/or pumping, and found myself wondering how many of us there are out there.

Soooo,

What pump do you use?

How often do you pump?

Are you pumping for work, donation, freezer supply, exclusively pumping, or a combo?

Aaaand, what is one piece of advice you would pass along to moms who will need to pump for whatever reason?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a Medela that I got from WIC. I pump 1x a day everyday, and 3x a day on days I work. I pump for work, and donate my extra. And, I would tell any pumping mom not to watch themselves pump. I get much better output when I am not paying attention to how much I get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsfitz05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:56 AM
I've just started for practice. I will return to work. I use a Medela pump in style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sofia0587
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM
I use the breastflow pump at night and its usually for a long day out or if im gonna be leaving her or just for a break from nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:03 AM
Definitely a good plan to start pumping before you return to work! I started pumping once a day as soon as my milk came in, and froze everything I got. By the time I returned to work, I was able to donate over 150 oz.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

I've just started for practice. I will return to work. I use a Medela pump in style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM

What pump do you use?  I have a Medela PISA, love it!  I also loved my Lansinoh manual pump, I actually EPed with it til I got my PISA because the hospital grade one I rented didn't work for me.

How often do you pump?  I EPed for a few months, but Pippi is back to the breast!  We do rely on donor milk, I just got 300+ oz today <3  That should last us a month, plus what my regular donor donated and may keep donating.  I try to pump at least once a day to keep my supply up, but lately I haven't been getting much since AF's return.  Good thing for fenugreek!

Are you pumping for work, donation, freezer supply, exclusively pumping, or a combo?  I pump to keep my supply up and for supplimenting DD

Aaaand, what is one piece of advice you would pass along to moms who will need to pump for whatever reason?  Get a good pump!  Even if it's a hand pump, the Lansinoh can be bought at Walmart for $30.  Makes all the difference in the world!

harry209
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:21 AM
Madela freestyle
Freezer supply
Pump while she's on one breast pump the other every 2-4 hours
Advice when pumping be consistent just like nursing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Medela Pump in Style.  I work full time so I pump 3-4 times a day 5 days a week.  I am so not looking forward to tax season!  I'll have to pump 4-5 times 5 days a week plus 2 times on Saturdays. 

My best advice is to relax and try not to look at the milk.  And make sure baby isn't overfed from the bottle. 

BabyGirlEme10
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM
I use the electric medela single pump.
I mainly pump at work 3 times & occasionally at home when he sleeps 6-7 hrs straight.
I'm pumping for work.
Practice makes perfect. Don't get discouraged the first couple weeks you pump your body has to get accustomed to it. If you are pumping to go back to work start a couple weeks before you go back so you can produce enough & you have a small stock pile ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
I EP 6 times a day.
My Advice is to make each pumping session a pleasant experience so that you don't dread it. Make it your time to take a break, have magazines handy, snacks, Internet, whatever.
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Awesome advice everyone! Especially making sure baby is not being overfed! Remember, 1-1.25 oz per hour, to be given in no more than 3 oz bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)