Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supply issue? Sorry for the TMI UPDATE WITH DOC APPT

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
  • 61 Replies

So I'm sure some of you will recogonize me from previous posts. I have been struggling with dd for about a week now with bfing. It started on Halloween when we gave her 3 bottles in a row while visiting family. The next day we struggled to get her on the breast...because she probably wanted a bottle. DH gave in and gave her one. GRRRR So anyway, ever since that last bottle on 11/1, she has not had any bottles. This is great of course, but I'm now thinking I have some supply issues. Her diaper counts are not that good....2-3 at the most. Ok, here is the tmi part.  Also, she just had a very small poopy diaper...but it was jellified....it literally looked like there was a 2 in slug in her diaper. It stayed connected when I folded the diaper up...I wanted to see if it would get absorbed or not. It didn't. It was like a slug was there. So I"m a bit concerned. I think I'm having a supply issue. I have been taking fenugreek for 3 days, but I don't have any left atm....I finished the bottle yesterday. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast ( I hate oatmeal...so it's a bit tough to get it down! :( I also have been pumping after she eats, I thought that would stimulate my body to make more. Oh and for the past week she has been getting up in the night to eat again. She has been sttn since she was 5-6 weeks old. Any help ladies?? I"m at my wits end here, she is not happy or satisified after eating, I don't know what else to do. I had a short term goal of making it to 6 months......( originally I was only going to do it for 6 weeks, then 3 months, now it's upped again to 6 months. Who knows....maybe we will make it to a year if I can get this straightened out) But she is only 4 months. I can't give up now, but I don't konw what to do.....she is not getting enough, and she is not happy! :(

So we had her doc appt today, and I love her ped. Basically she said that I'm letting dd snack during the day instead of eating a "real" meal, which is why she is always hungry. It makes total sense! Idk why I didn't see it. It's not a supply issue, it's just a timing thing. So this week I'm going to try to get her on a better schedule so she will eat a "full meal" rather than snacking.

Her weight is now 13.4,  at her 2 months she was 12.5...so just about  1lb in 2 months.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Okay, how old is your little one now? When you say 2-3 diapers at most is that poop or pee or both? How is her weight gain? What color was the poop?

I need some more info from you to be able to really answer you. Until I hear more, try doing breast compressions while nursing and you can continue the pumping after feedings for about 5-10 min.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM
First of all losing sttn at 4 months old is VERY VERY normal. Mine did 7 hour stretches between 2 & 4 months and then started waking up hourly (or more) again. Plus if you do have supply issues, this is a great way to raise your supply.

That diaper count is really low. Are they barley wet, or soaked? It sounds like you are doing all the right things to raise your supply. Can you take a couple of days and stay in bed with baby, skin to skin?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XMaybebabyX
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

She is 4 months old, will be 5 months on the 29th. 2-3 usually wet. Poop every other day. Weight gain has been fine, but she hasn't been weighed in awhile. She has an appt on friday. The poop was a dark brown color.

I've been doing compressions already, I can't tell if they are helping or not, but I will continue them. :(

Quoting Daynaof3:

Okay, how old is your little one now? When you say 2-3 diapers at most is that poop or pee or both? How is her weight gain? What color was the poop?

I need some more info from you to be able to really answer you. Until I hear more, try doing breast compressions while nursing and you can continue the pumping after feedings for about 5-10 min.

XMaybebabyX
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Yes, I don't mind her getting up again, especially since there seems to be a supply issue, but it just confirms for me that there is a supply issue. :(

The diapers are not soaked, but more than barely. Kind of just an average diaper. I have not left the house in 3 days because of this....I don't know what to do anymore!

Quoting larissalarie:

First of all losing sttn at 4 months old is VERY VERY normal. Mine did 7 hour stretches between 2 & 4 months and then started waking up hourly (or more) again. Plus if you do have supply issues, this is a great way to raise your supply.

That diaper count is really low. Are they barley wet, or soaked? It sounds like you are doing all the right things to raise your supply. Can you take a couple of days and stay in bed with baby, skin to skin?

Daynaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Has ANYTHING changed? Diet, medications including starting b/c or taking something herbal? Have you started solids? Do you have any medical conditions? Possibility you are pregnant?

I would be concerned about the color of the poops and the low diapers, in this case I would get yourself to see an LC and maybe see if the pedi can get you in sooner.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

She is 4 months old, will be 5 months on the 29th. 2-3 usually wet. Poop every other day. Weight gain has been fine, but she hasn't been weighed in awhile. She has an appt on friday. The poop was a dark brown color.

I've been doing compressions already, I can't tell if they are helping or not, but I will continue them. :(

Quoting Daynaof3:

larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM
I was actually trying to say that the waking up again was unrelated to the supply issue :-)

With that low of a diaper count, you might need to supplement with some pumped milk until you figure this out. Definitely don't give it in a bottle though!

I'm sure some of the other moms will have better ideas, but just keep nursing and pumping and your supply will come back. If you can nurse 4 months, you can nurse 4 years. I think the bottle thing was just really bad timing with the 4 month supply regulation, so now you are a little low. It will come back up. If you can, see a LC and maybe call LLL and get some in person support there too.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

Yes, I don't mind her getting up again, especially since there seems to be a supply issue, but it just confirms for me that there is a supply issue. :(

The diapers are not soaked, but more than barely. Kind of just an average diaper. I have not left the house in 3 days because of this....I don't know what to do anymore!

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XMaybebabyX
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Oh I see. I figured her eating during the night was telling my body to make more! Well, I going to supplement then until friday, we have an appt with her ped. I guess I will spoon feed her because I don't hae a syringe. :( Poor girl!

Quoting larissalarie:

I was actually trying to say that the waking up again was unrelated to the supply issue :-)

With that low of a diaper count, you might need to supplement with some pumped milk until you figure this out. Definitely don't give it in a bottle though!

I'm sure some of the other moms will have better ideas, but just keep nursing and pumping and your supply will come back. If you can nurse 4 months, you can nurse 4 years. I think the bottle thing was just really bad timing with the 4 month supply regulation, so now you are a little low. It will come back up. If you can, see a LC and maybe call LLL and get some in person support there too.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

Quoting larissalarie:

XMaybebabyX
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Nothing had changed. . . that's what's confusing. The only thing I noticed...when your brought up chance of pregnancy...is that I'm due for af on the 15th. I have had 2 regular cycles since sept, so maybe that could do it? There shoudln't be a chance of pregnancy, dh and I are careful, but no bc, just condoms. Could that ugly af be the cause of this???

Quoting Daynaof3:

Has ANYTHING changed? Diet, medications including starting b/c or taking something herbal? Have you started solids? Do you have any medical conditions? Possibility you are pregnant?

I would be concerned about the color of the poops and the low diapers, in this case I would get yourself to see an LC and maybe see if the pedi can get you in sooner.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

Quoting Daynaof3:

Daynaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

It can cause a dip in supply but it shouldn't cause a low diaper count and poop troubles. I would definitely see an LC and the pedi.

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

Nothing had changed. . . that's what's confusing. The only thing I noticed...when your brought up chance of pregnancy...is that I'm due for af on the 15th. I have had 2 regular cycles since sept, so maybe that could do it? There shoudln't be a chance of pregnancy, dh and I are careful, but no bc, just condoms. Could that ugly af be the cause of this???

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting XMaybebabyX:

Quoting Daynaof3:

XMaybebabyX
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Alright, well thanks ladies. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)