Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing food

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM
  • 4 Replies
If I want to ebf as long as possible at what point would I introduce baby food?
I have seen some say it will ruin my bf relationship with ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Starting solids will not ruin your breastfeeding relationship with your baby. You do want to wait until baby is at least 6 months old before introducing anything other than breastmilk. Most baies are ready and eager somewhere between 6-9 months old. You also want to make sure you always nurse right before offering other foods until baby is at least 12 months old.

Great info on starting solids at kellymom.com:

Here are a bunch of her links on the subject:

Solid Foods and the Breastfed Baby & Toddler

Most of the literature I've read on starting solids seems to have been written on the assumption that baby will be weaned (or mostly weaned) between 6 and 9 months. The relatively large amounts of solids suggested early on are simply not consistent (for most babies, at any rate) with keeping breastmilk primary in baby's diet for the first 12 months, as is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and breastfeeding experts worldwide.

My purpose here is to offer a guide to starting solids for a breastfed baby, based upon my reading of the current breastfeeding literature. I am assuming that your baby will be breastfed well into the second year (or longer), but these suggestions can certainly be adapted if you plan on weaning earlier. If you're undecided or simply curious about continued nursing past the first year, see the Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet.

FAQs

BabyGirlEme10
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Thank you this is exactly what i was looking for!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Look up baby led weaning or baby led solids. Nurse first, give solids to baby to self feed. Real solids - like pieces of avocado - then baby can decide when he/she is done (versus spoon feeding which is force feeding baby)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

We do baby led solids and when we have meals atfer 6 months we offer food, if he self feeds thats great if not then he doesnt need them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)