Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kudos to AR WIC.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM
  • 2 Replies

Yesterday, I finally broke down and called AR's WIC breastfeeding "hotline."  I had a question about getting a pump through my WIC office.  I called about 12:30 and the lady who answered took my name and number to have the LC (I think) call me.  I waited for a little while and then decided to lay down for a nap with the baby.  Just as soon as the baby was asleep, my phone rang. (my luck)

I told her the situation with my husband leaving a month ago and that I had been a SAHM for the past 3 years, never having to worry about a breast pump.  Now, I am looking for employment.  She was so supportive!  She asked how old the baby was, if he was ebf, how much he weighed, if I bf my first. . .and then she told me I was doing good for ebf him for 4.5 months so far!  At the end of the conversation, she told me to call my WIC office and ask them for an appointment to get a pump, learn how to work it, etc.

Right before the end of the conversation, she asked for my email address.  She was sending me information about breastfeeding while working, laws, some links to AR's breastfeeding site.  Last night, I checked my email and the very first thing in the email was "Dear Sunshine.  I was so glad to hear from you today.  I hope everything works out for your family."  It was so personal and I'll admit I cried.  This woman, who is well over 4 hours away from me, for however long I took out of her day was concerned about the breastfeeding bond between my child and I.  It was encouraging to say the least.

Just thought I would share my one and only positive WIC experience.

“We must assume every event has significance and contains a message that pertains to our questions...this especially applies to what we used to call bad things...the challenge is to find the silver lining in every event, no matter how negative.”  -James Redfield, The Celestine Prophecy

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM
I'm glad that you found such great support!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That is awesome! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)