Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

secret supply squashers?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

What are the secret supply squashers? 

I know (and do) all the things to do to build my supply, but I just want to make sure I'm not accidentally doing anything to lower my supply!  I've been sick, my son, 9 months, has started sleeping through the night and eating solids,  I know my supply will adjust to his needs, but I work full-time and it feels like the adjustment is taking a toll on what I produce during the day.    

Thanks!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Decongestants can lower supply- I don't know how to spell it but it's pseudophrine or something.

At 9 mo ths, your supply is pretty set - baby may be reverse cycling or you can make up for not having enough pumped by sending in solids to day care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Pumping amounts generally drop when baby is around 9-10 months, that is totally normal.  Make sure to pump atleast once a day even on days off, leave what milk you can when away, nurse on demand and always before solids when home and everything should be FINE

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM

The biggest supply squashers are solids given before nursing and not nursing on demand.

As long as those solids only follow nursing, and you continue to nurse on demand when home, you're fine. Even decongestants are OK if you stay hydrated (which you're supposed to do anyway).

louzannalady
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. My son is nine months and I am seeing a dip in my supply, too, since he isn't nursing at night like he used to... He and I just got over the flu, too, but I was noticing the dip before that.

ardiaxe
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM
I once ate stuffing which contains sage, and it really lowered my supply. It took about two weeks to get it back up. So watch out for the sage during the holidays.
corrinacs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Sage is def. a squasher....also, with the holidays coming soon WATCH YOUR PEPPERMINT!  It also is used to lower your supply as well!  So, forgo those candy canes :/

sydneysledd09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Wow! Sage lowers Ur supply? I had no clue!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haymama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Wow i had no idea about sage or peppermint, is there any others to lookout for since theres usually such a large menu durin the holidays?

**Check Out My BLOODHOUND MAMAS Group**
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Sage, peppermint and menthol are things that CAN decrease supply, but don't affect everyone.  I didn't know about this with my oldest and ate candy canes all the time around Christmas and had no effect on my supply.  The only thing is that you will not know if these will affect you until it happens.

Here is an article from kellymom on this issue.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html

Quoting corrinacs:

Sage is def. a squasher....also, with the holidays coming soon WATCH YOUR PEPPERMINT!  It also is used to lower your supply as well!  So, forgo those candy canes :/

Lilypie - (wn9y)

lincscraftymom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Thank you all!  Yes, I always nurse before solids!  aznd we always nurse on demand!  

I had heard about mint, but didn't know about sage or menthol.  I have been sucking on cough drops to help with my sore throat!  I've just worked so very hard to get to this point, finally pumping enough for daycare, but lately we've been going through the freezer stash without being able to build it back up!  I've upped my pumping sessions to 4 times at work, from the usual 3, plus 2 (lately 3) pumpings at home.  I'm upping my already pretty high water consumption, mother's milk tea, supplements, oatmeal, you name it! 

Thank you all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)