• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

24 hours of EFB..how am I doing? update

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

Thanks guys :) :).  I am letting him reset things so hopefully that helps.  My next delimma....WHY IS MY SHIELD LEAKING!  Everything he eats, we both get soaked :/.  I want to wean him from the sheild, i personally find it annoying, but he will NOT latch with out it.  My nipples are just small...they stick out just not enough.  I even tried using a hand pump to extract them prior, but NOPE....that stinker LOL.  I am so glad I have you guys...I never got to nurse my son, so all of this is brand new to me LOL.  Any questions about a pump and I'm your woman LOL.

He's doing great, I'm so surprised!  With the nipple shield, he seems to be doing well.  He eats about every 2-3 hours as expected and he latches on without me having to do too much enticing.....now how do I get those hands out of it LOL.  He thinks his hands must be a part of this, but unfortunately they get in the way LOL.

But my next delimma....Im starting to engorge again.  I know I was pumping until I was empty until yesterday and I presume he's not eating "that" much.......I don't want to pump because it would just be my darn luck that he would immediately have to eat LOL.  Should I just let him reset my supply?  How to deal with the pain in the meantime??

So proud of all I have....My big boy Caden and my little Leo.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Let him reset. Ice packs and tylenol for you,. If you can get him off the shield that will help... the shield interferes with milk transference.

JealousGrrl
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

This!  I used a shield for a while too, but once you wean from that bfing is way better.  :)  IF your inverted or flat try the shells that you wear between feedings.  

Quoting gdiamante:

Let him reset. Ice packs and tylenol for you,. If you can get him off the shield that will help... the shield interferes with milk transference.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Embers_mommy200
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Just stick him on the boob
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Hand express enough to relieve the pressure. If he did want to eat right after you pump, there would still be milk...your body always makes more. A downside of a nipple shield is that they make it harder to drain the breast. Sounds like you are doing well though :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM
He's only days old. Your milk supply could take weeks to regulate. Just keep up the good work, keep him at the breast. Leave the pump in the closet and focus on just using the breast. See if toward the end of a feeding you can remove the shield and sneak the nipple in instead. Once that initial "I'm going to starve if I don't get something now" wears off try to use just your nipple. No pumping. It only messes with your supply further. Its supply and demand. Your baby demands a certain amount, your body makes enough for that demand (you tricked it with a pump past few days to make more) it could take a few weeks. Take a warm shower and let it leak out or hand express just a little to relieve pain and nurse on demand!! Great job mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)