Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have never heard this before. Is it true?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM
  • 5 Replies
I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday about my six week old son spitting up all the time. Shes all about bfing and was telling me that when she was bfing her youngest daughter, she got sick with a cold and her milk spoiled. I just got over a cold and she told me to pump and smell my milk and see if it smelled sour. She said this could be the cause of him spitting up.
I know or at least think I know why he spits up and its most likely because of my OAL. Anyhow, is it true what she said??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Char07
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Not at all... your milk can't spoil (well unless you pump and leave it out for way too long ;)

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Nope, not true.  :)  In fact, the best thing to do when you're sick is to nurse your baby.  You'll be passing on natural immunities and good stuff to keep him healthy.  

mama02040608
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM
UM, no.

Some women have excess lipase in their milk and it can make their pumped milk smell funny. It is not spoiled. It doesn't cause spitting up. OAL can and does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Your milk doesn't spoil, the two containers on your chest will keep it nice and fresh for as long as it's being made.

SuperMom2433
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM
I thought it sounded silly...lol Shes a sweetheart and would never steer me wrong purposely. I think someone told her wrong, huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)