• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do to support my friend she is having serious issues BFing

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

A very good friend of mine is having latch issues with her son. He is a month now and its leaving her raw in extreme pain and emotionally hurting. She has gone to 2 LCs they both told her to stop BFing until she is healed. She has also tried a nipple shield. Does anyone have any advice what she can do, and as her friend any advice on how I can support her in the best way? She has hardly been out of the house since her son was born and I am trying to get her to just get out so she can have a change. I just called her and invited her out for desert someplace nice. Any advice would be appreciated.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lesliegail22
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM
You sound like an awsome friend! I am new at bf and know having support is very important. I too fear leaving home i go for habies 1week check up and im nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryLu86
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM
Do or did you breastfeed? Sometimes it's easier to show them the proper technique instead of just advice! Have her put lanolin or breastmilk on her nipples and let them air dry between feedings (that will help heal them)..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Don't be nervous! Babies in public get you smiles, ooooooos awwwwwwws and so cutes! Its like babies have this superpower over people. :) My biggest advice going out in public for the first few times is to wear comfortable shoes. Weird right, but think about it. You just gave birth you massive tummy is gone so your balance is shot, you carrying this heavy bulky car seat paranoid your going to drop the baby and the LAST THING you need to worry about is uncomfortable foot wear or shoes that are going to make you trip.

Quoting lesliegail22:

You sound like an awsome friend! I am new at bf and know having support is very important. I too fear leaving home i go for habies 1week check up and im nervous.

muslimahmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Quoting MaryLu86:

Do or did you breastfeed? Sometimes it's easier to show them the proper technique instead of just advice! Have her put lanolin or breastmilk on her nipples and let them air dry between feedings (that will help heal them)..

I do BF, my son is 5 months. And I did have problems but nothing like this. DS had a weak suck and then I developed oversupply and foremilk hindmilk imbalance. Basically I make wayyyy to much milk. I was very blessed I have never had any sort of painful nipple issues. I was comfortable from day 1, so I don't know how to help her. I saw in Target they have these gel things to sooth, would those work for her? I told her about the lanolin and breast milk after feedings.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I swear my nipples were torn up for about 6 weeks. I took extremely hot showers and Lanolin was my best friend.

MaryLu86
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM
Yes they do help! My first time bf I was very sore almost to the point of bleeding, but after the 6 week growth spurt, it was much more comfortable.. Just tell her not to give up because it DOES get better!! Oh and make sure the baby is opening the mouth enough and always bring baby up to the breast not breast to baby.

Quoting muslimahmommy:

Quoting MaryLu86:

I do BF, my son is 5 months. And I did have problems but nothing like this. DS had a weak suck and then I developed oversupply and foremilk hindmilk imbalance. Basically I make wayyyy to much milk. I was very blessed I have never had any sort of painful nipple issues. I was comfortable from day 1, so I don't know how to help her. I saw in Target they have these gel things to sooth, would those work for her? I told her about the lanolin and breast milk after feedings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2ninos4me
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM
I was gonna suggest lanolin and breastmilk after feedings as well lol .... Op ur friend can also try to go some times during the day w\o a bra so the fresh air helps her heal faster :) I mean when she ishome by herself with the baby lol ..... Also to leave the house even if is for one hour itll help her fe el more relaxed cuz I can totally understand her frustration :\ ... I didnt have probs bfing ds1 and I currently bf ds2 :)

Quoting MaryLu86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Has she had the baby checked for a tongue tie?  There could be an anatomical reason why the baby can't latch correctly and it would need to be corrected.  I don't think that the LCs that she has seen if they are telling her to stop nursing even for a little bit without helping to get the baby to latch correctly.  The nipple damage won't get any better if the baby isn't latching right.  There is a great recent post with great pictures and explinations about tongue tie. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/15270802/Is_My_Baby_Tongue_Tied

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-tonguetie.html

http://www.llli.org/search?cx=012805113672795732671%3A72auqfjhk-m&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=tongue+tie&sa=Search+LLLI

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)