Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reverse cycling?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 8 months old and I noticed she's been eating more at night than usual. She was eating once, maybe twice at night but that last few nights she's been eating like 4 times a night. I thought it was a growth spurt or just from switching her from co-sleeping to sleeping in her crib until today. Today (it's almost 5 pm) she's only eaten 2 times since 5/6 am. So I'm not sure what caused it but it seems she is now eating more at night and less during the day. Obviously I'd like to switch it back but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM

This is normal, especially at her age.  there is much more stuff going on in her ever-expanding world that she would rather explore and she forgets about nursing.  You can try taking her to a dark quiet room or in the bath to try to get her to nurse more, but some babies just won't have it.  Is she getting solids?  If so, she should not get anything unless she has nursed immediately before.  That can contribute to more night waking if she is not getting the needed nutrition from the milk during the day.  Solids are not nutritionally needed, your milk is.

mamak3211
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I didn't think about her being too busy, she doesn't like to stop for anything. Today we were at baby yoga and I knew she was hungry but she refused to nurse because she didn't want to miss out on anything! She really isn't eating solids. She doesn't have much of an interest in it. She hates purees so I was just giving her pieces of food on her tray during dinner when we eat. She mostly plays with it and gets maybe a couple of pieces in her mouth. This shouldn't affect my supply right? It'll just adjust with her?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

YEP!  Your supply always adjusts to her demands.  Just go with it.  Soon, you'll be complaining that she is nursing constantly again.  ; )

mamak3211
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

hahaha I love frequent nursing! It's so relaxing and I love the cuddle time so that doesn't happen as much anymore. Thanks for the help!

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You're welcome!  It is my pleasure to help.  : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)