Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so ready to wean and get more sleep but my sons doesn't want to

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 2and a half. I am still nursing him pretty much on demand. Which is really draining on me. I love nursing him, but end up not getting enough sleep at night which makes me tired throughout the day. I also have health problems (brain injury/migraines) and can't take anything for them becasue I don't want the meds getting into my son.

He had serious health issues as a infant. Had 3 surgeries and was in and out of the hospital until he was about 18months (his last surgery). I nursed him on demand thoughout that time trying to comfort him. 

He's now a happy, healthy(ier) toddler, and still wants to nurse on demand. I am not wanting to do it ALL the time anymore though. He tends to bite/pinch (especially at bedtime). I also don't eat as healthy/much as I should and feel that nursing is robbing my body of nutrients it needs to be healthy (man I feel guilty saying that)

I also cosleep with him and his older sister. Its the 3 of us, and I feel safer with them close to me so let them sleep with me. My son wakes up throughout the night wanting to nurse (he goes from side to side) I have tried to limit what one he can have, but can't seem to limit time. He nurses till he falls asleep, and by then I'm either to tired to get him off or sleeping myself, only to wake up a few hrs later to switch sides. I have restless leg syndrome also, and can't get comfortable so have trouble falling asleep.

I started college in August so he started daycare and is there all morning into the afternoon. He does great at daycare (even takes nice long naps, which he doesnt do at my house) but once hes home he wants a boobie (and "another" one) especially when he starts getting tired.

I feel so guilty wanting to wean him, but I am always so tired and drained. I know hes ready, but he sees it as being a buddy, comfort, ect. I have tried getting him to drink milk before bed (hes never been able to drink from a bottle but we have a good sippy cup that doesn't leak) but he fights it.

I can't seem to stay consistant because I just don't have time fighting ALL the time

Any ideas?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM
I heard that at that age you can nighttime wean him by putting a band aid over your nipples & saying that they are going to bed at night, or they don't work at night, etc - so there is a story/reason for it. Maybe put them to 'bed' from 12 am to 6 am for a week, then 10 pm- 6 am....etc to slowly wean him from those feedings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

First, start with nursing manners.  It is OK to say not now whenever you need.  You treat the resulting behavior the same as any tantrum.  Do not allow any behavior that you do not want to continue.  You can also try night weaning.  Try these things and see if it helps before trying to stop all together.  

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Weaning doesnt equal sleep...now nightweaning could...I would continue to nurse him daytime but tell him nighttim is when everyone sleeps even the boobs

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I honestly would reconsider the cosleeping in your case. It's hard to night wean when the source is right there.

But you need to be aware weaning doesn't mean sleeping, anyway. Motherhood is a lifetime sentence of never getting a full night. **grin**

maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Take a look at this article on nightweaning. It gives some great tips for weaning or decreasing nighttime nursing with a toddler:

Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

annaica
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM
You have some awesome advice here momma! I know how you feel. I might be trying night weaning at 2 (3 months away). Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM
I agree.

Plus it's sooooo important to be consistent whatever you do. I know it's hard, I've been in the single mom boat. But as hard as it seems to be consistent, it's actually easier! It's harder for a short bit and then they learn and it's done and life goes on, but when you go back & forth they never give up testing to see if you will cave this time. Consistency will greatly benefit both (all) of you.

Quoting aehanrahan:

First, start with nursing manners.  It is OK to say not now whenever you need.  You treat the resulting behavior the same as any tantrum.  Do not allow any behavior that you do not want to continue.  You can also try night weaning.  Try these things and see if it helps before trying to stop all together.  

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vances_mom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:28 AM

First of all, congrats on making it to 2 1/2 years!!! That is so great!

Second, I agree with aehanrahan. My DD is 29m/o and I have had to put limits on her nursing because I feel touched out easily with pregnancy (I'm 19 weeks pregnant). We have managed to slowly night wean (for the most part) and I believe that because we did it fairly slow, it was not hard for her.

amax2010
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Thank you everyone!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)