Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teething and ready to quit!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 6mo is apparently teething (fevers, chewing on everything, occasional runny nose, irritable) I know it's not any kind of infection, cuz he had been on antibiotics for an 1st infection for over a week now.
My problem is I can't take having him attached to me 24/7 anymore! My LO has been wanting to nurse more, instead of less, to comfort from the pain. My boobs ache!! Not just my nipples, my whole boob(s). The pain in my nipples is so unbelievably bad, that it brings me to tears every time he latches on. Plus, he's also kicking, scratching, hitting, pulling my hair, you name it. It's driving me crazy and I'm about to just give him formula and let his dad feed him from now on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
l0vetheb00b11
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM
*ear infection
Also, he's not that fond of any teethers. I've tried everything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Khuerta
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM
its hard, but it will get better. are you giving him tylenol or motrin? the bottes specifically say infant on the bottles. follw the weight guidelines or ask your pediatrician for the dose. this will cut down on his symptoms. as far as your pain, motrin for you and make sure hes latching right. it passes hon. this is only temporary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
sorry. I have been there but it was never as bad as you are describing. Mine didnt like teething rings that much either. We also had a vibrating teether that was ok, camomile tea is good, wet cold or frozen washclothes, hylands teething tables and sometimes orajel...when nothing worked....but what actually workedthe best were breatmilk popcycles!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Khuerta
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Also, there are gel packs for your nipples you might want to try. i neve used them but ive heard great things. the aches and pains (for me at least) only lasted a week,*maybe* two unless it was thrush. Thrush wrecked my world for two months and then mysteriously vanished one day... perhaps look into that as well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Khuerta
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM
NEVER USE ORAJEL!!! IT CAN KILL BABIES!!!! MY BEST FRIEND NEARLY LOT HER SON BECAUSE HE INHALED IT AND IT PARALYZED HIS LUNGS. IT CAN BE DEADLY EVEN WHEN THE DIRECTIONS ARE FOLLOWED!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Could you have thrush?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.kidz
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I would suggest Hylands teething tablets and breast milk ice cubes or popsicles

maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Thrush???

Could We Have Thrush?

Definition

Thrush to indicate that within the baby's mouth and yeast to indicate that on the mother's nipples or within her breast is a fungus that thrives on milk on the nipples, in the milk ducts, and in the baby's mouth. Thrush and yeast can both be present in non-lactating women and men, too. The medical term for this condition is candidiasis.

Predisposing Risk Factors for Yeast

All of the following have been known to increase mother's and baby's risks for yeast:

• Vaginal yeast infection in the mother either during pregnancy or shortly before or during time that other yeast symptoms occur. Mothers who have a history of frequent vaginal yeast infections are also more vulnerable.
  • Antibiotics administered to the mother during pregnancy, during labor and delivery, or shortly before or during the time that yeast symptoms occur. Please note that antiobiotics are always administered when a cesearean section is performed or when GB Strep is diagnosed or is being treated preventatively prior to delivery. A history of long-term or frequent antibiotic use in the mother is also a predisposing factor for yeast.
  • Antibiotics administered to the baby
  • Long term or frequent use of steroids in either mother or baby
  • Nipple trauma such as cracks. The breakdown of the skin allows for the entrance of yeast as well as bacteria. Cracking is not normal. This type of nipple trauma should be addressed quickly by a lactation consultant.
  • Maternal use of oral contraceptives containing estrogen
  • Allowing damp nursing pads or bras to stay up against nipple tissue for long periods of time
  • Using plastic lined nursing pads which prevent good air flow to the nipple area
  • Pacifier use in the baby
  • Excessive consumption of dairy products, artificial sweeteners, or sweets in the mother
  • Diabetes in the mother
  • Anemia in the mother

Signs and Symptoms

In mother:

• intense nipple or breast pain that occurs from birth, lasts throughout the feeding, or is not improved with better latch-on and positioning
  • sudden onset of nipple pain after a period of pain-free nursing
  • cracked nipples
  • nipples that are itchy and/or burning and that may appear pink or red, shiny, or flaky and/or have a rash and tiny blisters; nipples may also appear normal
  • shooting pains in the breast during or after a feeding if the yeast has invaded the milk ducts
  • nipple or breast pain with correct use of an automatic electric breastpump
  • a vaginal yeast infection

In baby:

• diaper rash that does not respond to typical rash ointments (see this picture for one representation of a yeast diaper rash)
  • creamy white patches that cannot be wiped off on the inside of the mouth, along the inside of the gums, inside of the cheeks, roof of mouth, throat, or tongue
  • a shiny or "mother of pearl" look on the inside of the mouth
  • breast refusal, pulling off breast, or a reluctance to nurse due to mouth soreness
  • repeated clicking during nursing
  • excessive gassiness due to the yeast's invasion of the gut

The baby may also be without visible symptoms.

How Diagnosis Is Made

There really isn't a definitive way to diagnose yeast in the mother. Often it is visible in the baby's mouth but may not always be so obvious, as in a persistent click, repeated pulling off the breast, or excessive gassiness. Diagnosis is best made after taking a thorough history of both mother and baby. If there are things in the history that predisposed the nursing couple to yeast and there are symptoms consistent with yeast it is appropriate to begin treatment. If the mother and/or baby begin to respond to yeast treatment then the diagnosis is confirmed. Treating with yeast medications, especially those that are topical, usually cannot hurt and can only help if yeast is suspected. If symptoms do not respond to treatment within 4 days, the treatment should be reevaluated. Failure to improve with aggressive treatment requires a look at possible other causes. Sometimes a bacterial infection can be present either alone or with yeast.

l0vetheb00b11
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:36 AM
Thank you for thr definition of Thrush... I'm going to look into that more. Could be our problem. We have both been on antibiotics lately (him: ear infection, me: mastitis)
I haven't noticed any white stuff in his mouth though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)