• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW DO YOU......

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM
  • 12 Replies
So how do you nurse while laying down? Actually how did you get baby to latch in the dark or do u turn on a light? I would love to be able to lye down while nursing without having to turn on a light to get him to latch. Also I am having trouble getting him to latch the first time. He does not want to latch the good latch. It takes a couple of tries. is this normal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM
In the beginnint you may want to get a nightlight. I know when lights go on everyone tends to wake up.

Laying down nursing takes somepractice and can be a bit tricky with a newborn but once you get the hang of it its a lifesaver. I lay with my arm under his head and latch him with the other hand when they were little. As soon as they got bigger they latched themselves obviously. I will look later to see if I have any pictures for you....Im mobile right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaniMami317
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Just lie on your side lay him on his side facing you. Put your boob real close to his face make sure your nipple is erect enough for him to get a good latch. It takes us a couple of tries to get it right in the dark too thats normal. But as long as my nipple is erect I find that my DD has an easy time latching on with little or no guidance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM

It may take some getting used to, but now I find it hilarious how my son is like magnetically attracted to my nipple or something! I might not even know I was momentarily exposed (in the dark) and he is already latched. Trust me, it wasn't always like that!

You lay on your side, lay baby down next to you, get him latched. It may be easier to sleep topless, or something where breasts are easily accessable. Some people find it necessary to roll over when they switch breasts ("hop" over baby, or hug baby to chest and roll with them) but I always found it easies to have a "top & bottom" breasts... I only need to adjust my position slightly to switch.
You may need a lamp or a nightlight. I had to leave my closet light on w/ door mostly closed, not because of latch issues, but because DS was scared of the dark! Now he only cries if he wakes up in the dark alone, which isn't often since we cosleep.

But to answer your question, yes, it is normal. & it doesn't last! How old is baby? age varies when baby finally gets nursing "down", but he will!

yksurepa_570
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM
He is 2 weeks old.

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

It may take some getting used to, but now I find it hilarious how my son is like magnetically attracted to my nipple or something! I might not even know I was momentarily exposed (in the dark) and he is already latched. Trust me, it wasn't always like that!

You lay on your side, lay baby down next to you, get him latched. It may be easier to sleep topless, or something where breasts are easily accessable. Some people find it necessary to roll over when they switch breasts ("hop" over baby, or hug baby to chest and roll with them) but I always found it easies to have a "top & bottom" breasts... I only need to adjust my position slightly to switch.
You may need a lamp or a nightlight. I had to leave my closet light on w/ door mostly closed, not because of latch issues, but because DS was scared of the dark! Now he only cries if he wakes up in the dark alone, which isn't often since we cosleep.

But to answer your question, yes, it is normal. & it doesn't last! How old is baby? age varies when baby finally gets nursing "down", but he will!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM
My husband thinks its hilarious to do tha hug and roll.

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chudler
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Lol I have woken up many times only to realize I fell asleep nursing and my boob is still out...then when I go to put it away I realize my son is nursing again all by himself heh

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM

It's totally normal. You might want to use a night light for the first week or two - just until you get the hang of it.

What I did when my baby was tiny was lay on my side, put my arm above my head and latch baby laying next to me.

FionasMommie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I fall asleep nursing all the time! In fact, most nights I barely remember putting DD into bed with us! lol

Quoting chudler:

Lol I have woken up many times only to realize I fell asleep nursing and my boob is still out...then when I go to put it away I realize my son is nursing again all by himself heh

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

CafeMom Tickers
Elyssa414
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM
I needed to have a little light at first and try a few times to get a good latch... Now Galen is 8 weeks old, and I just pull out my boob and pull his stomach to mine and he latches on great by himself. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM
I do that all the time, and half the time, my daughter is passed out milk drunk still latches, lol.

OP, side lying nursing takes getting used to. I had a 3rd degree tear, and found it more comfortable to sleep with a body pillow between my knees, so I would use that to position my daughter(I always made sure I pushed it out of the way after nursing). Now, I just scoot her to me and she latches by herself.

Quoting chudler:

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)