Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont think I can keep my supply anymore

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM
  • 24 Replies
I got the depo early last month. Since then its been a huge battle to keep my supply. My LO will nurse ALL day and never be happy. She is 3 months on the 10th. Ive tried fenugreek, and no luck. I am going to give oatmeal one more time and maybe mothers milk tea. But after that if no luck Im not sure I can keep going. It also hurts really bad with or without shield. I am going to try and meet up with the LC soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM

How are diapers and weight gain?

larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM
How are diapers? Depo can kill supply and unfortunately they can't undo it :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM
What they said
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I would eat oatmeal once or twice a day - EVERY day. Drink a TOn of water. Take fenugreek and if necessary call the OB and ask for an RX of Reglan. You can do it mama!

lfrrll5
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Ya they generally don't recommend hormonal birth control. If possible maybe look into something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wesleysmom08
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Diapers went down to 4 or 5 a day. I dont have insurence right now so no reglan. Not sure about weight gain. At her 2mo check up she was 8lb and a few oz. She was 5lb 11oz at birth @ 35 weeks. I really dont want to quit...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Even if you end up needing to supplement you don't have to quit! 

If you do need to supplement consider getting an at breast supplementer. The Lact-Aid is best for long term supplementation. My firend was only ever able to produce 1/3-1/2 of what her baby needed and baby got the rest through the Lact-Aid.

It is also possible that you might need to supplement for a couple of weeks or months and then can gradually get your supply back up to meet her needs. Also, if you can maintian what you have, the amount of milk she needs will gradually decline once she starts solids., so eventually the supply you have now will be enough for her.

http://www.lact-aid.com/

wesleysmom08
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My dr said it wouldnt mess with my supply. See if i take her advice again. Guess its time to change drs whn i get insurence. Shes given me bad advice a few times

Quoting lfrrll5:

Ya they generally don't recommend hormonal birth control. If possible maybe look into something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Did you take enough fenugreek?

Fenugreek Seed for Increasing Milk Supply

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Effect on milk production

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) appears to be the herb that is most often used to increase milk supply. It is an excellent galactagogue, and has been used as such for centuries. In one study of ten women, "the use of fenugreek significantly increased volume of breastmilk" [Swafford 2000].

Mothers generally notice an increase in production 24-72 hours after starting the herb, but it can take two weeks for others to see a change.

Dosages of less than 6 capsules/day (approx 3500 mg/day) produce no effect in many women. One way to determine if you're taking the correct dosage is to slowly increase the amount of fenugreek until your sweat and urine begin to smell like maple syrup. If you're having problems with any side effects, discontinue use and consider alternative methods of increasing milk supply.

Fenugreek can be used either short-term to boost milk supply or long-term to augment supply and/or pumping yields. There are no studies indicating problems with long-term usage. Per Kathleen Huggins "Most mothers have found that the herb can be discontinued once milk production is stimulated to an appropriate level. Adequate production is usually maintained as long as sufficient breast stimulation and emptying continues" [Huggins].

Suggested dosage
capsules
(580-610 mg)
  • 2-4 capsules, 3 times per day
  • 6-12 capsules (total) per day
  • ~1200-2400 mg, 3 times per day (3.5-7.3 grams/day)
  • German Commission E recommends a daily intake of 6 grams
capsules
(500 mg)
  • 7-14 capsules (total) per day
powder or seeds
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, 3 times per day
  • 1 capsule = 1/4 teaspoon
  • can be mixed with a little water or juice
tincture
1-2 mL, 3 times per day (or see package directions)
tea
one cup of tea, 2-3 times per day

Safety

Fenugreek is used to flavor artificial maple syrup, and is used as a common food ingredient (curries, chutneys, etc.) and traditional medicine in many parts of the world, including India, Greece, China, north Africa and the Middle East. It is a basic ingredient of curry powder (often used in Indian cooking) and the Five Spice mixtures (used in Asian cooking). It is also eaten as a salad and sprouted.

Fenugreek is considered safe for nursing moms when used in moderation and is on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's GRAS list (Generally Recognized As Safe). As with most medications and herbs, various side effects have been noted; see the side effects and safety information below.

Per Hale [Hale 2002], "The transfer of fenugreek into milk is unknown, but untoward effects have not been reported." Hale classifies it in Lactation Risk Category L3 (moderately safe).

Possible side effects and cautions
  • Sweat and urine smells like maple syrup; milk and/or breastfed baby may smell like maple syrup.
  • Occasionally causes loose stools, which go away when fenugreek is discontinued.
  • Use of more than 100 grams of fenugreek seeds daily can cause intestinal distress and nausea (recommended dose is less than 8 grams per day).
  • Repeated external applications can result in undesirable skin reactions [Wichtl 1994].
  • Ingestion of fenugreek seeds or tea in infants or late-term pregnant women can lead to false diagnosis of maple syrup urine disease in the infant due to presence of sotolone in the urine. See [Korman 2001] and other studies on fenugreek and maple syrup urine smell.

Use with caution or avoid if you have a history of:

• Peanut or chickpea allergy: Fenugreek is in the same family with peanuts and chickpeas, and may cause an allergic reaction in moms who are allergic to these things. Two cases of fenugreek allergy have been reported in the literature. [Patil 1997Ohnuma 1998Lawrence 1999]
  • Diabetes or hypoglycemia: Fenugreek reduces blood glucose levels, and in the few studies using it as a hypoglycemic, also reduces blood cholesterol. Dosages higher than the recommended one (given above) may result in hypoglycemia in some mothers [Heller]. If you're diabetic (IDDM), use fenugreek only if you have good control of your blood glucose levels. While taking this, closely monitor your fasting levels and post-prandial (after meals) levels. Mothers with hypoglycemia should also use fenugreek with caution. For more on fenugreek and glucose levels, see thereferences below.
  • Asthma: Fenugreek is often cited as a natural remedy for asthma. However, inhalation of the powder can cause asthma and allergic symptoms. Some mothers have reported that it worsened their asthma symptoms. [Dugue 1993HugginsLawrence 1999].
Drug interactions
  • Oral drugs or herbs taken at the same time as fenugreek may have delayed absorption due to the mucilage content of fenugreek. [Wichtl 1994]
  • Glipizide and other antidiabetic drugs
    Fenugreek reduces blood glucose levels and may enhance the effects of these drugs.
  • Insulin
    Fenugreek reduces blood glucose levels, so insulin dosage may need to be adjusted.
  • HeparinWarfarin and other anticoagulants
    Ticlopidine and other platelet inhibitors
    The fenugreek plant contains several coumarin compounds. Although studies have not shown any problems, it potentially could cause bleeding if combined with these types of drugs.
  • MAOIs
    Fenugreek contains amine and has the potential to augment the effect of these drugs.
kyliesmommy7
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Ask your ob about reglan it helped me sooo muchi still take it everyday nothing worked till i got reglan

Quoting wesleysmom08:

I got the depo early last month. Since then its been a huge battle to keep my supply. My LO will nurse ALL day and never be happy. She is 3 months on the 10th. Ive tried fenugreek, and no luck. I am going to give oatmeal one more time and maybe mothers milk tea. But after that if no luck Im not sure I can keep going. It also hurts really bad with or without shield. I am going to try and meet up with the LC soon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)