• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't think he's getting any hindmilk :/

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am having another weird problem :/.  So, my nipples don't come out quite all the way...not inverted or flat, just not OUT like its supposed to be and baby has a hard time latching.  If I pull out my nipple for him with a pump, manual or with sheild (removed) my milk comes out so fast that I'm leaking all over the place and baby Leo starts kind of choking a bit :/.  So, I leave the sheild on, but it seems like he gets a few 5-10 gulps in and he "nibbles" after that.  I don't know how much he's getting in.  But the milk looks rather watery and smells watery.  Its not like what regular breastmilk is supposed to look like :/.

We are just having one problme right after the other with this nursing thing :/.  He gets it, I get it....but this time its my body that doesn't watn to cooperate :/.  He NEEDS to eat enough because he doesn't weigh anything as is :/.

Should I reconsider EPing?  That way I know all parts of my milk are getting to him?  He has poops, like a trillion a day it seems, but there's little "poop" and they seem rather watery.  I know its supposed to be seedy looking, bu tthere's not actually much poop :/

So proud of all I have....My big boy Caden and my little Leo.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Watery yellow poop can be normal. How many diapers are you changing? Birth weight & current weight? How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Hey, 

Thanks for responding :)

I think I change about 5-7 diapers a day.  Most have this small hint of poop with primarily pee in it. 

BW: 5lb 6oz
CW: 5lb 2oz (as of yesterday morning)
He's 6 days old. 

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Watery yellow poop can be normal. How many diapers are you changing? Birth weight & current weight? How old is he?

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Looks like everything is just fine! It can take 2 weeks to get back up to birth weight. Just keep nursing on demand. If you have a problem with a fast let down pop him off when you let down & spray into a towel or cloth diaper then continue. Overactive let down will disappear as your supply regulates.

EPing sucks since you HAVE to pump every two hours to keep up your supply + make the bottles to feed him. I wouldn't unless it's absolutely necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I know EPing is impossible LOL.  I had to with my first son and it stank, but I did just for him.

I am hoping to avoid that this time if I can....but I worry about this little guy.  We had a hard time getting pregnant with him, almost lost him several times during my pregnancy, so of course I'm being overly protective.  At least this gives me some hope.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Looks like everything is just fine! It can take 2 weeks to get back up to birth weight. Just keep nursing on demand. If you have a problem with a fast let down pop him off when you let down & spray into a towel or cloth diaper then continue. Overacting let down will disappear as your supply regulates.

EPing sucks since you HAVE to pump every two hours to keep up your supply + make the bottles to feed him. I wouldn't unless it's absolutely necessary.

angelbabies14
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Please please please do not give up. These are all VERY normal things in the beginning. As I mentioned yesterday it takes a few weeks for your milk to regulate. Right now you have over supply because you just got your milk in. This is normal normal normal! We all go through this in the beginning. Try to start out by block feeding. It will help regulate your milk better. It will seem like you are engorged a lot in the first week or so but it will fix the issue in the long run. Try feeding him reclined back so gravity doesn't force milk down his throat. If you need to use the shield right now do it. Don't give up. My sister had the same issue in the beginning her boy is now 3 months and he's a pro! (and 17lbs!) lol keep up the great work. don't get discouraged. We are here for you. Leave that pump alone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM
His pooping sounds completely normal. They tend to poop constantly for like 2 months then abruptly stop.
If you are worried he isn't getting enough hindmilk, nurse him off of the same breast a couple of times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Oh, and any poop bigger than a quarter counts!
angelbabies14
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM
I agree. Try block feeding

Quoting larissalarie:

His pooping sounds completely normal. They tend to poop constantly for like 2 months then abruptly stop.

If you are worried he isn't getting enough hindmilk, nurse him off of the same breast a couple of times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Have you been block feeding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Then we are REALLY in trouble LOL.  His poops are more like the size of....a streak LOL

Quoting Poisongirl98:

Oh, and any poop bigger than a quarter counts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)