• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pain pain pain!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey ladies!!

I am pretty new to the group, and BRAND new to breastfeeding.  It has definitely been a bumpy bumpy road over the last 4 weeks with my LO.

A little overview: my labor/delivery was absolutely awful.  It ended with an emergency c-section, lots of complications internally, long road to recovery.  After starting to feel better from my c-section, I developed a whopper of a case of mastitis. That has finally cleared up, and I have gone several days without crying at some point during the day. During my hospitalization, my LO had to be on formula due to some radiology tests and IV dye that I had to get. I wasn't able to nurse him until the day we were discharged. I had the hospital lactation consultant pretty much move into my room that morning to give me the super skinny on what to do. Needless to say, little man still will not latch without the use of a nipple shield.  We keep trying every day to get rid of the dang thing, but when he gets bare nip in his mouth, he is clueless.

My recent problem has been this horrible horrible breast pain!!  It almost feels like I have been scratching from my rib cage to my nipples with fiery hot needles all day and all night.  It hurts before he nurses, hurts while he nurses, and hurts afterwards.  Today I started pumping after each feeding to help empty my breasts, but it still hurts all the time. 

I'm hoping someone may have some sort of insight, because my lactation consultant had nothing to say other than to make sure I was emptying all the way...

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:55 PM
Hmm, did you take any antibiotics for Mastitis? I think that sounds like thrush. When we had it, I felt like I had hot glass shards in my breasts, and it hurt all the time.

As for the shield, try nursing for a few minutes with the shield until your milk lets down, and then slip the shield out and see how he does. It may take a few days of doing this, but hopefully, he'll get the hang of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindseyLou531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I was on antibiotics for 5 days, I finished them on Wednesday of last week.  This pain really started yesterday and it's both breasts, not just the one that had the mastitis. His mouth doesn't look like thrush--and I have no idea what it would look like on me.

We have been trying with using the shield for a few minutes and taking it away, but always end up having to go back to it.  I also have really funky nipples that don't really help with our latching problems. I know it might take a while, but as long as he is getting my milk instead of formula, I am happy.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:54 PM
My first thought was thrush from the antibiotics.

When you try to nurse him without the shield, do you hand express a little first so he tastes it to trigger a response? I'd you could also squeeze/compress the breast in his mouth do he sets that he can get milk without the shield.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Yes, thrush from the anitbiotics It can be there with NO symptoms in baby. WHite in the mouth is absent as often as it's present. Check out the thrush remedies on kellymom.com... they work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)