Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP!!! Block Nursing Anguish!!!!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi!

I posted the other day about my oversupply/foremilk-hindmilk imbalance and anyway, per advice from the lactation consultant and you ladies I have begun block nursing.  Some issues:  My Baby's stools are green and watery again, I am extremely engorged, He is frustrated because my breast milk is shooting out of my breasts (even after pre-pumping 3-4oz.), and He's not eating much of anything through the night.  Last night I was so engorged I could feel my skin ripping, I swear; so I pumped to relieve pressure so he could take my breast without aspirating; I got 12 oz. from 1 breast before any pressure was relieved!!!  My breast was still engorged!  PLEASE HELP WITH ANY ADVICE!!!! Also, have been side-lying to help with the ejection for poor little DS and it's still choking him.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The pumping is ruining your block feeding efforts. Hand express just enough to not want to die but that's it. It sounds like you have a massive oversupply! You might need 12 hour block to control. Unfortunately the only way to control it is to feel miserable for a few days. That discomfort/pain is how your body gets the message to slow down the milk production.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM
honestly the more you pump the more you make that same amount of milk. You are tricking your body into thinking it NEEDS to make that much. Pumping 12 oz is going to prompt the body to make 12 more. You need to put the pump down and only hand express enough to relieve the ripping feeling. You will need to have huge blocks to fix that. what length blocks are you using now? It takes a few weeks to fix it but you can't pump like that to fix it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigheg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Try uphill nursing, basically laying baby OVER the breast. Gravity will work against the flow of your milk and slow things down.

Also, instead of pumping to relieve engorgment, I would suggest hand expressing. It is sometimes much more effective than pumping, with minimal stimulation. Also, I wouldn't normally suggest this, but try cold cabbage leaves. Take a whole leaf, cut a hole for your nipple, and put them in your bra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof6kries
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

How to I get DS to take my breast?  That's the biggest problem is his seeming frustration d/t my milk shooting down his poor little throat.  I can handle the discomfort, I just can't figure out how to feed him like this.

angelbabies14
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
hand express some into a towel just before latch. Lay back in a chair or recliner or on your bed. Place him on top of you and let me be higher than your breast. Nursing him lower will allow gravity to take effect. If you want to fix this it will take some time but you have to psuh through the uncomfortable parts right now. Its supply and demand. Your baby may only drink 1-2 oz your body needs to know that. Do not pump before or after or you are telling your body to make that much more. your body needs your baby to signal how much to make.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM
The uphill nursing ashleigh suggested should help greatly with his nursing. Gravity will help it not be so forceful that way. If your breast is too hard for him, hand express just enough to help it out so he can latch.

Quoting momof6kries:

How to I get DS to take my breast?  That's the biggest problem is his seeming frustration d/t my milk shooting down his poor little throat.  I can handle the discomfort, I just can't figure out how to feed him like this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

You are getting good advice, I just want to say WOW and OUCH (and can I borrow a little?? lol).  Things will sort themselves out in a few days/weeks but hugs until then!

momof6kries
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Thanks everybody!  You're a very supportive group of ladies, I really appreciate your help!

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:23 AM
Exactly this. Stop pumping.

When I block fed, I'd hand express a tiny bit in the shower each morning ( like squeezed for a count of 3) and that was it.

Quoting larissalarie:

The pumping is ruining your block feeding efforts. Hand express just enough to not want to die but that's it. It sounds like you have a massive oversupply! You might need 12 hour block to control. Unfortunately the only way to control it is to feel miserable for a few days. That discomfort/pain is how your body gets the message to slow down the milk production.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM
I would hand express before nursing so you're soft enough to latch. Look up reverse pressure softening on kellymom.com. Cold crushed cabbage leaves can be a godsend at helping settle down some oversupply. And the blockfeeding is really pretty crucial. Ibuprofen for pain and swelling. I've always had to do 8 hour blocks. Painful for a couple days but then the clouds part and it gets normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)